Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What type of brewers yeast do you use for making pollen patties? Is it the "spent" variety that humans put on food or is it the active variety that will ferment?

·
Registered
717 Posts
Spent - Also called nutritional. Besides having to deal with foaming-at-the mouth, drunk bees, the volume needed of active yeast would break the sultan's bank account (if you have priced it).

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Well that depends where you get it from. I get mine from the local brew pub by the bucket full as they just throw the stuff away. I then deactivate it. Once its deactivated it is the same stuff you buy at the health food store or the CO OP. Bees do really, really well on it...though they smell like beer. :D

·
Registered
717 Posts
Beer is one of my favorite breakfast foods, so I would be curious how active yeast is extracted from the carbs as a by-product during the fermentation process. I sorta understand that the 'sludge' (heavy parts such as hops, grains, sugars, as well as active yeast...) are removed as the residual part of the 'cooking' process. Doesn't all these ingredients end up as a single by-product?

Like a lot of places, Atlanta has a lot of micro-brewers (sweetwater 420) if you haven't inbibed, and how much yeast do bees require over the year? But savings is savings (maybe they're doing a free samples of brew on sludge-removal day). Just curious about the process (I know - talk to a brewer).

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Spent - Also called nutritional. Besides having to deal with foaming-at-the mouth, drunk bees, the volume needed of active yeast would break the sultan's bank account (if you have priced it).
They were about the same price from the health food store. It cost me about $16 for about 3 pounds of pollen sub. I was worried and in a rush
good thing I only have 3 hives.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts