Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just got two top bar hives delivered yesterday and I'm playing with them and making sure I know all I can about them.

I've been reading all I can about beekeeping and am really enjoying A Year in the Beeyard. It seems to have the most practical information that is adaptable to the TBH.

What books specifically about TBHs do you recommend? There doesn't seem to be much and most I've looked at seem mostly about why to use them. I got that. I just need to know how. :)

Hoping to get our bees in July, so I have a little time to learn something. Like how to even get them in the hive!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
You can go watch some you tube videos on how to install packaged bees or how to install bees in a top bar hive...Watch several of them to get a good idea of how "you" would like to approach it...With smoke or without smoke. If you dont learn anything you will get a good laugh out of some of them videos cause i sure did...HAHAHA There has been a few that i watched where they get stung and you can pretty much learn what "NOT" to do as well...:lpf:

·
Registered
125 Posts
It's not a book about TBH's, but rather a book about bees in general. It's called the Buzz About Bees. After I read it I was more than amazed about honeybee's. They sell it on Amazon.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Just picked up two copies of the idiot's book (one for me and one for my mentor), and started flipping thru it.... it's very much focused on non-treatment and letting the bees do what they want. Haven't gotten to the TBH stuff yet. (My wife wants me to build her one for next spring)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cool! The library may actually have that one. Most of the books they have are focused on Langstroth hives and are fairly old.

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
thanks to all for the kind words about "the complete idiot's guide to beekeeping" (my wife and i wrote it).

there is (i think) lots of important information for TBH beekeepers in our book, but it is not focused on TBH by any means.

we are hosting a conference this summer...actually 2 conferences (beginners and advanced). sam comfort will be helping us teach the beginners course and will be speaking at the advanced one as well. sam (anarchy apiaries) is a tbh beekeeper with experience as a commercial beekeeper as well, and has a great perspective. we will also have some of his tbh onsite for hands on inspections and learning. more info can be found at:
http://beeuntoothers.com/2010Conference.html

deknow

·
Registered
99 Posts
Re: Brand new to this...book recommendations?
I like this guy's you tube videos: Name: dragonhlm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUBxAxFTrXU

I'd be a little cautious about following this guy's suggestions. No veil, kids inches from hive and unprotected, blowing hot tobacco smoke from your mouth, inches from the bees, laboring endlessly to remove the bees covering the queen cage, the list goes on. I had to stop watching.

While this may qualify as entertainment, instruction it is not, and it should not be offered to newbies as advice of any kind.

·
Registered
87 Posts
It always amazes me who watches this forum, I was really excited when I heard about this idiots guides "no-treatment" direction, imho while not alone kind of revolutionary in bee literature.
I concur, Sam-Smith... It's great to see the authors of great, informative books right here, where we can access them.... Thank you for a great book, deknow.

·
Registered
124 Posts
hi,
#1 what does tbh stand for? anyways a great and informational book for beekeeping is called "Beekeeping for Dummies." written by Howland Blackiston. it has every thing from recipes to introducing a new hive. good luck.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts