Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did an inspection today and everything seems to be well. Saw lots of nector, pollen, larvae..
And a beetle.
The queen was on an empty frame just walking around by herself. Was wondering if that is normal? Past 2 inspections she was usually on comb with lots of workers around her.
2 frames are completely full and capped, and one had some weird looking comb building going on.
Please feel free to give any advice suggestions you have, and thanks in advance.!

Attachments

·
Registered
4ish langstrom hives
1,393 Posts
Everything looks ok to me. I would scrape of the wonky comb before it gets worse.

The queen may have been wandering around looking for somewhere else to lay. I would not worry about her much if she is still laying.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Hi and welcome. For the funny comb, make sure you push the frames as tightly together as you can. Any larger gap should bee with the last frame on one side.

I'd suggest putting your location in your profile, at least state and region, so people who know that area can give advice.

·
Registered
22 Traditional Langstroth
22 Posts
Yes, everything looks fine to me as well. Wonky comb has been a more frequent occurrence for us this year. I have one hive that is a swarm catch from a farm that would not build straight comb until I put in frames with wax starter strips and in three weeks they've built out and laid up 4 full frames of it. Past experience indicates to me that this was likely a feral hive that's never been on foundation. Good luck with your hives!

·
Registered
614 Posts
Bee keeping Rule Number 3-don't over think stuff. Hive looks good, as AR said, close ranks with the frames-I like to push them together from one end, then the other after each inspection. The frame ears should be touching and any extra space needs to be at the end to allow for ventilation and passage. Remember-bees space is only a 3/8 of an inch and it's the whole basis of Rev Langstroth's design. That's why the ears are the size they are. I equalize that excess space at both ends but that's a matter of personal choice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts