Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got my packaged bees today, everything was perfect up to the point of me installing them. My bee suit was messed up the head piece was backwards and i didnt have any gloves. I sprayed some water on them and smacked on the ground that went fine-ish about 20 made it thru when i was getting the queens cage, btw she had no attendences is that a problem? so the bees that got thru they would not leave me alone i took that as because i had the queen. as all of this is happening my wife is filming it, it isnt good so no im not going to put it on youtube. i sprayed again and smashed them on the ground and started to pour well that didnt go as planned more where flying around then i had hoped and i was to have a panic attack mind u i am a 300 lb 6ft guy i was shaking like a leaf. well i did get stung on the face right on the cheek it didnt hurt as much as i thought it was going to and i am not allegric so that is a good thing. so what i have so far is everyone that was going to get inside in, the extras r still in the package i placed that at the base of the entrance. i am using a entrance feeder and a hmm quart size masonary jar i didnt put all the frames in i have 4 frames still out is it fine if i place them in tommorrow?

So all in all i am still very much scared of the bees but i did muster enough guts to get most of what i wanted to get done; done. i am happy that the sting doesnt hurt as much as i feared. tommorrow ill go back and check on them and then sunday see if the queen is released after that i will only be making once a week trips to feed them.

·
Registered
8,186 Posts
Congratulations! Those stings are a long way from the heart and the number of stings required to kill men our size is about double so you are in little danger from them dropping you. Cheap large gloves can be found in the form of dishwasher gauntlets at the local restaurant supply store. They are stingproof and allow pretty good dexterity. Only problem is they are hot to work in. Just easy does it and only go in as long as it takes you to find eggs and then get out until they are a bigger established unit in a month.

I would really advise you to go to different feeders! Those entrance feeders can cause a lot of problems!~ Robbing is the worst, but in cold wet weather the bees tend not to be able to get to the syrup as they are clustered away from the entrance. Putting a feeder inverted over the hole in your inner cover is so much better and the best of all is a gallon zip lock baggie with three quarts of syrup laying on the top bars where it will stay warm enough to be used by the bees day and night. Mine empty one in under a week. You would need a shallow super or a feeder rim to cover the baggie. When you lay the baggie on it's side, a bubble will form on the top side. Take a sharp knife and slice thru the top side of the baggie only. A couple less than 1 inch cuts.

No bees will drown if you are smart enough to make sure the baggie is sealed before laying it down and you only cut the top side. Also make sure the bag is fully supported with no part of it hanging off the frames. Good luck with your bees and you will get used to them. Vance

·
Registered
693 Posts
Calm down. Just calm down. Get a grip on yourself. Tomorrow morning when it's still cool (under 50 degrees), gently and slowly lift the top covers and put your other four frames in the box, two on each outer side. Put the covers back on gently and slowly. Go back into the house, get a cup of coffee, and order a pair of gloves, a hive brush if you don't have one, smoker, and whatever else the other beeks on the forum suggest.

Look at the YouTube beekeeping videos and read what's said here on the Forum. If you are going to do anything that might get the bees angry before you get your gloves, put some "Liquid Smoke" (the barbeque variety) on your hands and face first; bees don't like it.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
>So I got my packaged bees today, everything was perfect up to the point of me installing them. My bee suit was messed up the head piece was backwards and i didnt have any gloves.

I never use "beekeeping gloves". I buy buckskin gloves at the hardware store and tuck them into the sleeves of the jacket...

> I sprayed some water on them and smacked on the ground that went fine-ish about 20 made it thru when i was getting the queens cage, btw she had no attendences is that a problem?

Queens in packages almost never have attendants.

> so the bees that got thru they would not leave me alone i took that as because i had the queen.

You will have a lot of bees in the air when doing an install. "would not leave me alone", meaning what? If they are bouncing off your veil and following you 100 yards, I'd say they would not leave me alone...

>as all of this is happening my wife is filming it, it isnt good so no im not going to put it on youtube. i sprayed again and smashed them on the ground and started to pour well that didnt go as planned more where flying around

You just opened the lid on 10,000 bees that have been confined for three days. What did you think they were going to do when you opened the box?

>then i had hoped and i was to have a panic attack mind u i am a 300 lb 6ft guy i was shaking like a leaf.

Adrenalin will do that.

>well i did get stung on the face right on the cheek it didnt hurt as much as i thought it was going to and i am not allegric so that is a good thing. so what i have so far is everyone that was going to get inside in, the extras r still in the package i placed that at the base of the entrance.

That's what I would do.

> i am using a entrance feeder and a hmm quart size masonary jar i didnt put all the frames in i have 4 frames still out is it fine if i place them in tommorrow?

Put them in ASAP.

>So all in all i am still very much scared of the bees but i did muster enough guts to get most of what i wanted to get done; done. i am happy that the sting doesnt hurt as much as i feared. tommorrow ill go back and check on them and then sunday see if the queen is released after that i will only be making once a week trips to feed them.

You have a jacket right? Or is it just a veil? Get a jacket with a zip on veil (2 sizes too big so it's not tight) and a pair of buckskin gloves from the hardware store and tuck them into the sleeves and you'll be fairly invulnerable. No need to be afraid.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
After the first few stings you get past the point of surprise and your nerves start to settle down. As stated before, work with them time after time and you will get used to the feeling and be ok. Think about Beeks that are comercial or just large, they manage without too much problems. lol

·
Registered
516 Posts
Second year Beek here. Last summer I brought home a three trunk with a hive in it to cut out. When I got them home they acted so calm I did not suite up to go in and inspect them. Mistake! They lit me up but good. Not sure how many times I got stung before I got away from them. I'm still working with them, no big deal. Get the stinger out as quick as you can.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ty Mike for the input. I went to the hive last night to change the entrance feeder. I was able to change it out with only gloves they have calmed down I ton. The queen is out of her cage so Friday ill make a detailed inspection to see how things r going. I did put down a quater of a pollen paddy a few days ago and they r still eating it.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
forget about inspecting them everyday. leave them alone as much as possible. fill the feeder as required. you said the queen was loose in the hive and the frames are in, wait 10 days and check for brood .

·
Registered
242 Posts
That brings back memories. I was installing my first nuc in the midst of a gazillion bees and I just thought "unworldly" at one point I just stood up and backed away for a minute to gather myself.

Be deliberate and smooth and have fun.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
LOL matt that is exactly what i did my wife asked me what i was doing i said gathering myself.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts