Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been on top of my hives, and kept them with plenty of room. All my hives have 2 deep boxes for brood. The only ones that don't have a honey super, are new colonies that have not finished enough of thier 2nd brood box. I did requeen 3 of them, for shotgun brood, a week ago. This morning everything is fine. This afternoon, I go to check a swarm that I put in a hive, and find both of my swarm traps are full of bees. Just looking at the hives, I don't see any difference in the hives. There are about a dozen hives, about a half mile from me. I just don't have a clue, except to say that they probably came from my hives.

·
Super Moderator
1,899 Posts
Don't you just hate it when boxes swarm?
Its bad enough that bees sometimes swarm this time of year; but boxes?!!
I hate that! :(
They say that brand new freshly painted boxes tend to swarm less in their first or second year than old dry-rotted boxes.
Some people seem to think that russian boxes are swarmier than , say, carniolien boxes.
Not so sure about that.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HA! Guess what? I went out to transfer the bees from the swarm traps, into boxes, and there was not a swarm in either of them. Just scouts, I guess. About 25 bees in each trap. So., there may or may not be a swarm in the future. There is also a man that has about a dozen hives, down the road, so they may be from his.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I usually put on my old football helmet to prevent injury from swarming boxes, they hurt :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts