Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was speaking today with a man from California who is selling bottles of Bovitraz 12.5 % solution (Amitraz)and he makes his own strips to treat mites. Just wondering if anyone has heard of this or currently making their own Apivar style strips. He said that he sells to a lot of commercial guys in his area. 1 part Bovitraz to 6 parts vegetable oil. Apivar strips are expensive. His would be much much less expensive. I'm looking for comments from people who have experience with such a procedure.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have seen video, the guy worked for commercial beekeepers and bovitaz is what they use. They are bring it from Mexico. He tells exact formula you have but also he was saying that you have to do second treatment in a week or so with 1 part Bovitraz to 3 parts vegetable oil. Bovitraz is not offered for sale in US so I don't think anyone will admit here that they using it in hives. I agree with you it is less expansive than Amitraz.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I havent been able to find much information on this online, but from what I could find my calculations are youd probably mix 160g bovitraz with 1000g crisco/vegetable shortening and apply as a 'grease patty', use about 50ish grams of this concoction per double deep colony when supers arent on...
Taktic-Amitraz 12.5 % Bovitraz

·
Registered
640 Posts
Well, the biggest benefit of using apivar is that it's relatively easy and continues to kill mites for months.

If I have to follow special recipes, and go back multiple times, I might as well just use OAV, which is better than apivar, and less dangerous for me as a beekeeper. I could accidently spill OA all over my hand, lick it up with my tongue, and only get a little burn on the tip of my tongue. If I spill amitraz, I could end up with cancer.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Seen Sam Comfort go treatment free. Not for everyone but safer conversation for a forum. Not a judge or jury...just saying

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think the benefit of using a grease patty, as compared to a fogger or spray is that it will essentially time release the active ingredient, until the grease is gone. I havent used grease patties before but I think they typically last over a month in the hives... I found a source for that taktic stuff online. Its $84 for 1 liter shipped which would be equivalent to 125 treatments for a standard double deep hive. At mann, apivar 50 pack is $130 and it takes 4 strips to treat a double deep, which is $10.5 for each treatment. So essentially its about $.70 for taktic vs $10.50 for apivar / treatment...

·
Registered
426 Posts
It is not legal.
It is an off label use of a pesticide.
It is also not necessarily what the label says it is or the labeled concentration.

·
Registered
132 Posts
BigDsbeez Then please do not give advice like you did. Can you tell me where I can legally buy it. What states allow it? IMO, which is strictly an opinion , you are setting folks up for failure. Amitraz strips are legal and controlled. What exactly is your experience and where are you from that allows the use?

·
Registered
7 Posts
all i did was provide information, what you do with it is your responsibility. some people are competent enough to look up regulations and Mix their own chemicals, others obviously aren't..

·
Registered
426 Posts
The label is the law - if it says it is for use on bees then it is if legal if your state approves it.
Use approval is a state by state thing, labeling is federal
If it does not state on the label that is for bees it is as above an off label use of the pesticide and not legal.

·
Registered
132 Posts
all i did was provide information, what you do with it is your responsibility. some people are competent enough to look up regulations and Mix their own chemicals, others obviously aren't..
Never underestimate , esp when you don't know who or what your dealing with. That said it makes no sese to stay here and create a controversy, so I'll let you have this thread.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Never underestimate , esp when you don't know who or what your dealing with. That said it makes no sese to stay here and create a controversy, so I'll let you have this thread.

·
Super Moderator
5,663 Posts
Beesource does not allow for the promotion of illegal pesticide use. Since we are an international forum, there are treatment protocols that are illegal in some countries, yet legal in others. Discussion of these treatments is permitted. Is Bovatraz approved for use on bees anywhere?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Beesource does not allow for the promotion of illegal pesticide use. Since we are an international forum, there are treatment protocols that are illegal in some countries, yet legal in others. Discussion of these treatments is permitted. Is Bovatraz approved for use on bees anywhere?
There are YouTube videos from other countries that appear to show that it is legal. Greece, and Russia being two.

https://youtu.be/WPHJD5EK5NU

https://youtu.be/Q04GEnFiChE

·
Registered
7 Posts
many countries don't have the restrictive regulations that are found in the US (and other more developed nations) when it comes to pesticides, if something isn't specifically illegal, in many areas it is perfectly legal...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts