Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Burlington, MA. Langs
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Edit/update: I ended taking all the wood off and soaking in boiling water. They were really gross in the crevices. The smell seemed really off to me so I thought this best. Thank you JWP

Hi,
So I bought 3 used QE that have the wooden edges. Not really my choice but they were $5 each, and since I can't order any due to back order, so meh.
Anywho, they are used so I want to clean it before I put on hive.

Normally I know that boiling water would be fine for just the metal. But what about the Wooden part? Will boiling water kill off anything else that may be on them that I don't want in my hive?

I would take off the Wooden part but not sure how the edges are done inside so I don't want to risk bee injury if it is not a finished edge of metal. I suppose I could take one off to see but I don't think it really matters if it has wooden edge or not. Plus with my luck I wouldn't be able to get it back on :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Linda, I would not use boiling water on the wood for fear that it would damage it or cause it to warp. Scape it down good with your hive tool and swab it with bleach. Then rinse thoroughly and allow to dry.I am

·
Registered
Burlington, MA. Langs
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Linda, I would not use boiling water on the wood for fear that it would damage it or cause it to warp. Scape it down good with your hive tool and swab it with bleach. Then rinse thoroughly and allow to dry.I am
Yeah I was worried about that too. I did scrape it down pretty well.
I'm thinking I can use the heat gun for the metal and maybe the wood too, or some small flame .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts