Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

Just wondering my two hives started not so long ago are doing great (as far as I can tell lol), is it time to fully open the bottom entrance for the bee's?

I currently have the entrance reducer placed so the larger entrance area is available.

It's going to reach the 90 degree plus this week here in Lizard Creek, should I remove the entrance reducers completely? :s

As always, thanks in advance for your suggestions:}

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Watch the foragers coming and going, if there is a traffic jam open to a larger entrance. If you have solid bottom boards the temperature may require a larger opening, look for bees bearding off the bottom board or groups covering the boxes, especially in the hottest part of the day.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Where I am at, the girls are removing the marshmallow that I used as an entrance reducer after five days. They have opened up the entrance to three inches wide from their origional inch and a half.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where I am at, the girls are removing the marshmallow that I used as an entrance reducer after five days. They have opened up the entrance to three inches wide from their origional inch and a half.
Hummmmm....I'm afraid ***** would come and eat marshmallows that big around here?

·
Registered
145 Posts
My entrance is a quarter inch thick slit that is nine inches long. I have a robbing screen that partially hood's the entrance to help light coming in the hive. The only the bees can get to the marshmallow.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My entrance is a quarter inch thick slit that is nine inches long. I have a robbing screen that partially hood's the entrance to help light coming in the hive. The only the bees can get to the marshmallow.
Oh Ok, I think I understand...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts