Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I assembled my hives with screened bottom boards with the plastic tray. Guess I misunderstood the difference of a solid wood bottom board......wouldn't it be less stress to maintain warmth to add this solid bottom board? Next question is will it just sit below the screened bottom board and fit properly? I really don't want to remove the screened bottom board assembly and replace with the solid bottom board since my hives have been in place for 10 days now. Yet they would be better protected from the wind and still chilly nights.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Some screen botttom boards come with a plastic insert that can just be slid in Fm the back. If your hive is sitting on a hive stand maybe you could just slide a Pc of plywood under the hive.
My bet is they will be fine either way.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

My plastic tray is in place, shielding them from some of the wind/chill. I suppose it radiates the cold much easier. I am attempting to upload a pic or video.

Thanks too!

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
I'm in northern NY and have both solid (below) BB and screened (just under the hive body) BB (with the slot facing backward). That way I get the benefits of both, particularly the ability to monitor mites readily. In the winter I made sure that even the opening where the tray slides in was closed up with a wooden dowel.

Temporarily a piece of plywood will work fine: Cut it to size; then strap your entire hive assembly (top, boxes, bottom, etc.) together with ratchet straps. Get someone to help you lift it as a whole unit and slide the new bottom board underneath. You won't need to take things apart to add a solid bottom board.

I would screen off (with window screen) any openings in the bottom board not actively used by the bees (on the backside of the hive, for instance). No need to provide entry places for wax moths or SHB. Screening can just be thumb tacked on, so it's easy to remove when you want.

Enj.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I use all screened bottom boards and don't close them off at all. I left all 5 of my hives this way all winter and only lost one of them. I think the screened vs solid bottom board issue is one of preference. I will note that my bees are protected by a wind break that blocks the westerly winds.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts