Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Bottom Boards with Small Hive Beetle Trap

12766 Views 7 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  theriverhawk
I lost 80% of my colonies due to the small hive beetle. Three years ago I did not know what a small hive beetle looked like!

Can anyone recommend a bottom board with a small hive beetle trap?

Thanks!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Ya I made that same trap using 2''x4''s. widened the interence to 1''-1/2 at the sides and brought the bottom screen and oil pan 3/4'' forward out side the front edge of the hive body. Catches some rain water but not enough to be a problem. Used the Dadants' beetle trap pans. I'll say this I lost 5 hives cause to SHBs' over 100 (9'') inch frames of honey ruined in one weeks time. I haven't found more then 2 beetles out of 15 hives since I put this type designed board on them. And do says catches hand fulls of SHBs in the oil pans. The beetles move in and out of the hives more frequent than one would think, making the enterence peace and location of it important.

· Registered
19 Posts
Ya This was the starting idea. Mine is the same but cut a groove in the landing board for the pan to slide into as like the sides do, simply screw the landing board between the side pieces flush to the bottom of the top groove. Use 2x4 or 2x6 if you what a larger landing width. cut the entrance piece same as yours. But I moved the screen and pan forward to catch the beetles as they try to go around the entrance piece outside the hive. The guard bees keep the beetles off of the sides and top of the entrance piece as they try to enter the hive. Put a piece of foam weather strip to the back top edge of the pan, it seals to the back board of the bottom board as you slide it in place.

http://www.myoldtools.com/Bees/bottomboard/bottomboard.htm

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.