Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
greetings,

I am re-furbing some deadouts that I got and am looking at cleaning them up or replacement and what I might salvage....here are two pictures of what I assume is a homemade slatted bottom board.

Just looking at it, it just seems to be another barrier for the bees to get up into the deep and onto the frames, they enter in the front, below the slats.....I've not seen any thing quite like this, and would like some opinions....

It had been exposed to the weather for some time and has (among) other things a fair bit of black mold in and around, but the underlying wood is solid....I can overcome this with a little elbow grease and some KILZ as a fungicide and a final top coat, but don't want to spend the energy if it is just a mediocre set up that was a home concoction...

1393349580579.jpg

1393349603620.jpg

·
Registered
647 Posts
Personally I would just let a strong hive do the cleaning. If you really feel the need just do some sanding and maybe a spray bottle of bleach followed by a good airing out on a sunny day but leave the kilz and fungicide out of it. You can paint the outside if you want. The mold will not harm the bee's.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Think this a version of a slatted bottom rack. If so, slats are correct direction to diffuse incoming air so as to not lessen the draft on brood.

http://www.beesource.com/build-it-yourself/slatted-bottom-rack/

A quote from link

"A Slatted Bottom Rack is a ventilation board that fits between the bottom hive body and the bottom board (Langstroth Hive). It provides cluster space for bees, allows air circulation without allowing a direct draft on the brood, and helps prevent swarming."

Is there bee space between the slats, so bees enter from the bottom??? Or does it serve as a "vented" bottom board and bees use a top entrance????

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think that this is what it is....the bees enter the front and below the slotted rack and then have to go up through the spaces in between to gain access...(yes on the bee space between the racks)...

I may fix it up and leave it on and see if there is any difference between it and an adjacent hive...it would serve well as a functional mouse guard as well!

thanks,

jt

·
Registered
647 Posts
This is the original way Dr CC miller designed it. The slates went opposite of the frames to help with drafts. Brushy mountain got the bright idea the put them parallel so debrie falling between the frames would fall through. Brushy's idea defeats the purpass.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
I think the ones on the market with them going with the frames was mostly on the theory that the slats going across would defeat the purpose of the screened bottom board. I have had them both ways. I don't see any noticable difference. I've also had screened bottom board and solid bottom boards, and assuming you manage the draft, I see no difference.

I would just let the bees clean it up...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts