Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, tonight I was at the hive finishing up some yard work and noticed this at 9PM.

The entrance was crowded with bees. We had an sunny day with 80 degree temperatures.

6795AA7C-AB55-413F-9F6C-CB317F32B97F.jpg

Any ideas?

Also while there, I pulled the bottom board out and noticed these deposits on the board.

Rather heavy and plentiful.

Is that old wax?

13D8EA4C-7448-43FB-8067-47D41F876C3C.jpg

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
I can only assume that black residue comes from old black brood comb the bees are renovating/chewing down and rebuilding. If you got a nuc to start your beekeeping that explains that. If you got that black stuff while starting out with foundation, I suggest you find an exorcist as there are probably demons involved. Sorry if I am making light of a problem, but that is all I can guess from here. And If your bees are healthy, it is not a problem. Good luck.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
I looked at this last night and couldn't figure out why the wax was in piles. Normally one would expect rows. Vance has provided a reasonable explanation. Any chance you could pull those two frames and see what is going on with the comb?

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I’ve seen that kind of debris when the bees are chasing SHB larvae around in the comb. Better take a looksee.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts