Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, tonight I was at the hive finishing up some yard work and noticed this at 9PM.

The entrance was crowded with bees. We had an sunny day with 80 degree temperatures.

Floor Table Room House Grass

Any ideas?

Also while there, I pulled the bottom board out and noticed these deposits on the board.

Rather heavy and plentiful.

Is that old wax?

·
Registered
8,656 Posts
I can only assume that black residue comes from old black brood comb the bees are renovating/chewing down and rebuilding. If you got a nuc to start your beekeeping that explains that. If you got that black stuff while starting out with foundation, I suggest you find an exorcist as there are probably demons involved. Sorry if I am making light of a problem, but that is all I can guess from here. And If your bees are healthy, it is not a problem. Good luck.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,881 Posts
I looked at this last night and couldn't figure out why the wax was in piles. Normally one would expect rows. Vance has provided a reasonable explanation. Any chance you could pull those two frames and see what is going on with the comb?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.