Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered some hive components and when I picked them up, the dealer put in a screened bottom board instead of the solid one that I asked for. I'm not a fan of the screens but I needed a bottom board, so I took it anyway.

This one has a corrigated plastic sheet that can be slid in or out. Would I be messing up too bad if I simply put that plastic sheet ON TOP of the screen and created a solid? It rests a little higher than the landing board - maybe an 1/8 of an inch.

What's your thoughts?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Shouldn't be a problem. If you tape a front tab on the front of the corrugated board you could pull it out as a varroa check.

I use both screened and solids and they both work for me.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Yes. that corrugated plastic will be a great place for Small Hive Beetles to hide unmolested by the bees. Contact the supplier tell them you ordered a solid bottom board, and want to exchange. Their mistake they should pay shipping both ways. If you need it right away then just use the Screened bottom board as it is and replace it later with a solid. lifting a hive body off a bottom board is no different than moving an upper.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I ordered some hive components and when I picked them up, the dealer put in a screened bottom board instead of the solid one that I asked for. I'm not a fan of the screens but I needed a bottom board, so I took it anyway.

This one has a corrigated plastic sheet that can be slid in or out. Would I be messing up too bad if I simply put that plastic sheet ON TOP of the screen and created a solid? It rests a little higher than the landing board - maybe an 1/8 of an inch.

What's your thoughts?
I use both types, haven't had trouble with either, I prefer screened BB with oil trays underneath. I certainly would not go to the trouble to return either one, unless I paid for one with an oil tray and didn't get it, as they cost about twice what a board without one costs

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Jackam, have you used screened bottom boards previously? If not, it might be a chance to compare them with solids. I know your climate is *very* different from mine, but a 15% drop in mites could come in handy anywhere. :)

Or, if you simply don't want to use it as screened do as Tenbears said and send it back. Naturally, if you picked it up at a meeting or something (kinda sounds that way) you might have issues with shipping expense...maybe you can contact the vendor and get it ok'd to bring back at the next meeting where they're at. Otherwise, shoot some caulking/glue into the holes along the edges and staple it to the bottom framework of the bottom board.

Ed

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did get it at a meeting. :(
I'll hang on to it. I have some others on my hives, I just thought that my solid bottom boards gave me less hassle.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Remember that bottom boards are easy to make from sheet goods...a square of sheet and three rim pieces. You can probably make 10 bottom boards from sheet of AdvanTech OSB ($27 here, known for it's weather resistance), a circular saw, some 3/4" stock, and some nails and glue. Painting will naturally enhance it's longevity. Even a decent grade of 3/4" plywood would do pretty good but you would need to paint *very* well, paying extra attention to the endgrain with several coats of sealant/paint/whatever. Simple migratory covers or even simpler flat pieces for covers can also be made, but in your area it seems that most folks possibly lean towards telescoping covers which add a lot more complexity to the construction. But, solid bottom boards are easy. Actually, you would really only need the 3/4" stock if you can rip some narrow pieces of the sheet good to use in its place...I've done that with some nuc boxes I built several years ago out of some thin plywood.

My plans at the moment are to build my bottom boards and covers and until I can get a decent setup for a shop I'll buy my supers from a bee supply company.

Best wishes,
Ed

Advantech OSB...
http://www.lowes.com/pd_85795-1169-...L=?Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo=

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Yep, you can get 10 tops or bottoms out of a sheet of plywood. BUT, you have to lay it out right. The first couple sheets I cut up I would only get 8 finally I took the time to pencil out the piece of plywood before I cut it out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts