Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out looking at bees today and have one super about to extract. I put a second on a few weeks ago and they are kind of working on drawing it out. I have 1/2 inch holes in the front of my supers to provide a short cut rather than make them come in the bottom and go up. I have to believe that it takes less time and produces more honey. When I was watching them use the 1/2 inch hole I thought that a bottom board (without the screen) would really give them access.

Crazy idea? I could reduce it but am likely going to try it this next week.

So, what do you think?

Pife

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went to your blog. I like what you did. Do you note any change in production with the top entrance? Pife

·
Registered
290 Posts
Must be something in the air because I've been tinkering with a top entrance as well.

I really like your stands. I recognize what looks like a screened bottom board, but what is the thin blue box above the sbb and below the hive bodies? Love the colors, too.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've just been offsetting the top cover enough to give them room to get in and out -- it's more restrictive than adding spacers (or another bottom board) but as they still primarily use the bottom entrance, it seems to be fine.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I have been running a Irmirie (sp) shim on a couple of hives and I really cannot tell if they are using them much. They just post gaurds and washboard around the hole in the evenings. And they build abunch of comb and fill it with honey in the extra space. I've been thinking of taking it out cause I'm not sure it is helping.

·
Registered
265 Posts
If you look at my blog you will see what I did and it works great.
To me as a first year beekeeper it looks like it gets used more then the bottom board and the bees seem less stressed then friends hives I have been in. But that could be because of many factors. All I can say is that I am happy with the first test top entrance.:D

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I did two of my hives today and it looks like a bee convention at both entrances. The activity is so much higher at the supers now with a 1/2 " slot above the excluder and between two supers on the other hive. I will wait a day or so and check. I am close to extracting on both hives and I will see if there are any changes.

Looks good so far. Pife

·
Registered
265 Posts
Pife

post some Pictures, Glad it is working for you.

I have been using them since April 15 with no ill effects:thumbsup:

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
Adding spacers will just create beespace violations that will get filled with burr comb.

It is much simpler to offset a super so it overhangs the box under it and creates a 3/8 gap at the front and back of the box.

·
Registered
27 Posts
When you offset supers are you not opening another entrance for small hive beetles.When I watch for beetles at dusk it seems like the ones that fly right in the entrance do not get stopped. I have made my entrance smaller to try and help,seems like another entrance would help beetles.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I offset the supers of one hive I had because the queen had gotten in the super over the winter and laid drone cells. Needed to give the drones a way to escape (since I now have a queen excluder).

I've found the bees to absolutely love the entrance, on both sides of the hive. There is an upward-facing gap in the back, and people ask me if I am worried about rain, etc. So far I can't see any bad effects.

Here's a picture of the hive (it's the one in back):

You can see the bees hanging out at the offset entrance.

-- Steven

-- Steven

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
I added a shim, but put it above the inner cover to try & reduce bur comb.
They are using it a little, but its only been on a few days.
Was thinking about putting a small landing board below it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts