Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m in the market for a bottling tank. I know from several threads that Maxant is the choice of almost everyone. Mann lake sells one very similar looking to the Maxant. Has anyone bought and used the Mann Lake tank or does anyone know #1 what gaged of metal is used and #2 is it USA made/quality of craftsmanship? I’m am also considering the Dadant bottling tank but it is my #3 choice. If anyone had any feedback on any other tank beside the Maxant (which I know is the first choice of everyone including myself) please give me your feedback.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I’m in the market for a bottling tank. I know from several threads that Maxant is the choice of almost everyone. Mann lake sells one very similar looking to the Maxant. Has anyone bought and used the Mann Lake tank or does anyone know #1 what gaged of metal is used and #2 is it USA made/quality of craftsmanship? I’m am also considering the Dadant bottling tank but it is my #3 choice. If anyone had any feedback on any other tank beside the Maxant (which I know is the first choice of everyone including myself) please give me your feedback.
I own a Maxant tanks. And have a friend that owns Mann’s. Both are very similar. If I remember right Mann’s temperature switch is in the back of the tank witch can be a pain getting it adjusted right. And are of a little lighter gage. Part of the reason I have all is done Maxant is they come to a Ohio show that I go to and I can get a better deal.

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
I have had a 10 gallon Dadant for a few years with a Maxant bottling valve. It is a nice size for small crops and wax melting at my scale. This year I got free and re-built a 25 gallon 1980's Dadant tank. It is not fully welded but rather a tank inside the larger tank plumbed watertight with gaskets. Both get hot and heat honey. And cost a lot less than new. I swapped valves between the tanks for less torque on the gasketed fittings.

·
Super Moderator
1,890 Posts
Don't waste your money. Buy Maxant!
We have one tank that is from another brand, the rest is Maxant.
It is a complete piece of junk.
I won't mention the brand name, but you really notice the difference when they are sitting side by side.
BIG difference in design and quality.

·
Registered
Bee Wrangler
741 Posts
I have a Maxant 16 gallon with their no (one) drip valve. Fit, finish and welds are very good.
The only thing I don't like about it, it is not big enough. Wish I had gone with the 25 gallon tank.
I did get a Dadant controller 1 and I would never buy another Dadant stainless product again. The fit, finish and welds looked like a bunch of high school kids built it and the warranty is not much either, you have to send in the registration card 10 days after you get the product, and warranty is only good for 90 days. You have to foot the bill for return shipping for them to determine if it is a warranty problem. Just think a $100 for freight (or more) to ship it to them just to touch up a pin hole.
Just buy Maxant and don't look back.
I see some on craigs list every now and then, try "search tempest"

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
search tempest
Other than the fact that it holds 100 pounds more why would you want the 25 gallon bottler instead of the 16? I just called Maxant today and the shipping is significantly more due to the 25 gallon only ships freight and the 16 ships ups. I don’t think I will bottle more than 200 pounds a day so I’m settling on the Maxant 16 gallon. Is there something that I’m missing before I pull the trigger on the 16 gallon?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I use three tanks for bottling different kinds of honey.
A 300lb Maxant and a 300lb Dadant water jacketed bottling tank and a 150lb Dadant Liquidator (that I only use as a bottling tank). All bought over the years from defeated beekeepers.

I detest Maxant's 1 drip bottling valve, it only works when you're pressing the handle down.
The Maxant tanks drain is on the side, to completely drain the honey you have to tip the tank.
Maxant sells a pail perch compatible with their tank.

My Dadant tank has a ball valve, freeing my hands allowing me time to screw the lid on one jar as another is filling.
Dadant tank's drain is "U" shaped and flush with the bottom, allowing the tank to completely drain.
Dadant's inner tank sticks up 2.25" above the water jacket.
They don't sell a pail perch that fits their tank..., I made my own.

Dadant's Liquidator is a single walled tank with a bottom mounted, ball valve.
I heat using an electric heat cable (from Kelley's) wrapped around the tank.
After 20+ years of use, I tore the weld on the ball valve's nipple and had to have it welded.
There are pail perches for this tank.

I mostly use the Dadant tanks..., because of the ball valves.

One day I'll replace the 1 drip valve with a ball valve..., until then I'll curse it.

·
Registered
Bee Wrangler
741 Posts
Your not missing anything, the 16 gallon will serve you very well. I just hate to stop in the middle of a big fill job to have to wait for the newly added honey to heat and settle. I let mine settle for 2 or three days before bottling. I have a couple of customers that will take 10 to 15 cases of quarts in one order, kind of slows down the process.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I will probably get scorned but I attempted to buy a maxant and they have a 6 week lead time. I needed one sooner than later so I bought the Mann lake honey keg it’s $500 and free shipping. #1 the 16 vs 25 gallon are like the same price so if I were buying the maxant I’d definetly get the 25 and as most mention they have several so if your buying the initial bottling tank maybe the honey keg would be a good option. I read a bad review of it on here but talked to several on a Facebook group I’m in that absolutely love it. I love mine and only wish I got it sooner. I’m sure one day I will order a maxant if I grow to 100 plus hives but right now I’m sittin pretty. And it was free shipping.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
AMK their is a big difference between the honey keg and what Maxant bottling tank would have sold you. Or any of the other lines of bottling tanks. Even in Manns lines. Some times you get what you pay for. If I remember right, I heard of burn honey when they first came out.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I figured on this response more fake news and speculation from someone who never owned one. Personally I use my tank to pour buckets in warm it a bit to combat any crystallization then bottle. It has the no drip valve and in honesty any idiot with any tool can mess stuff up. I can speculate to what happened with the individual that burnt the honey coulda been part failure or human error. The heater won’t get the honey above like 100 degrees in a 24 hour period and I would never heat longer than that. It’s your money but for my needs ya I got exactly what I paid for no drip valve same as maxant it gently heats for ease of filling and breaks up crystallization and hold 15 gallons. That’s all I need. My point is for an entry level bottling tank maybe you should save that extra 1200 and buy some more boxes if all you want is gentle heat and a good bottling valve.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Additionally if you decide on another tank latter on like most have many I’d bet you could get at least 200 for the tank resale so it’s not the end of the world. Or keep it as surge tank. Buy once cry once I understand but this is like buying a Mercedes Benz as a work car when a Honda would work just as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts