Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bottled my first honey of the year today... and it's still May. I couldn't have done it using an extractor- too much uncapped honey. But what I did was scrape and drain only the capped stuff. That's the beauty of this method, you can get honey as early as May (when everyone is screaming for it), and as often as you want. No hassle setting up equipment, etc.

Anyone else started extracting yet?

·
Registered
23 Posts
whats to stop the uncapped honey draining out at the ssame time? I have 4 supers 80% capped.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I took off 12 shallow frames of honey Sat. They yielded 36 pounds of light honey. More to come, this was just a start because my Grandson was here and wanted to "Rob the BEES"

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"whats to stop the uncapped honey draining out at the ssame time?"

The uncapped stuff is thick enough that it won't drain out...

"Curry, are you going to send us all a jar or what? I bet it's some mighty good stuff from Arkansas!"

I'd love to send ya'll a jar, except there's like 2000 of you now... I must admit, our honey is a good blend (blackberry, tulip poplar, dandilion, privet, and now sumac)

"So I'm a little unclear what you did? Cut off the capped and leave the uncapped?"

Yep... scraped the capped stuff off, and put the wax back on the comb so the bees can build it right back out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts