Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my answer to a botched package purchase. Paid for 3 packages but by the time met up for delivery half the bees in each package were dead. Was told that I would get my refund and that I could have 4 packages if I wanted them; so to try and save the bees since they would have died in the guys car that day I took them.
As you can see I placed 2 packages in one deep with a drawn frame in between, popped the lids removed one queen left the other (one was dead) gave the one live queen left back to the guy that had brought the packages and so far they seem to be working things out. I had put a med with frames on top of the deep and they moved right up.
We shall see out they come out.

·
Registered
378 Posts
So no water, unable to go poop, yeah sounds like fun..

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are 4 with the extra one that was given to me so I made up 2 hives this is just the picture of one of them. I just thought I would try it to see if I could save what bees were still alive. I took the package boxes out after 3 days and i think by putting the frame in between it helped the bees accept the queen I left with them.
Beekeeping many times is just trial and error (hopefully less error).

·
Registered
779 Posts
"removed one queen left the other (one was dead) gave the one live queen left back to the guy that had brought the packages"
I assume you left this hive with one live queen? What happened to the other package? Also you have a medium with drawn comb on top of what is pictured above (Deep with one frame)? After you removed the two package boxes what did you do with the one frame deep, fill it with frames?

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BEEONEFARMS, don't know about your area but here in the winter my bees may stay in for longer then 2 days just due to the cold. Not sure where you came up with your thought.
Blessed Farms, The packages were all half dead and would have died in his car so I was just trying to save the ones that were alive, he did not charge for the 4 packages so I gave him the live queen back. 2 packages per deep to increase the numbers.
Dynemd, once I removed the boxes I filled the deep with frames. The way the bees moved up and out of the package into the mediums if I ever do packages again I may do it the same way opposed to dumping them in. Even with one good package if you sit it in the deep with drawn on both sides they will come out of the package and start working the frames.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts