Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read some good stuff about Borage and plan to plant some this spring. Any suggestions for success on growing in N GA?

·
Registered
760 Posts
im in washington and it grows great but start indoors and get it to about 4-5 inches tall before it goes outside -

bees love it - hell i love it - the flowers are great tasting

ive never grown a large crop of it to see if the honey is good but its in the mix !!!

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I planted some borage seed in a 75ft row (after frost date) and it came up and bloomed just fine, and reseeded itself. But if you start it inside like (concrete- bee ) said you could get an earlier bloom. I also planted catnip and cucumbers in the same plot and you could hear the bees working from mourning to dark.:thumbsup: Jack

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
I would sow some borage for your bees, the more the better, but if you only have as little as a 5'x10' spot for a bee plant, I would choose borage, it comes up easily, low maintenance, reseeds itself, and produces beautiful blue flowers and lots of them. The bees absolutely love the stuff, they are on the blossoms literally from light to dark. I can't resist sitting in a chair and watching the bees on borage instead of doing what I should be doing! The only suggestion for growing it is that it does tend to get top heavy and fall over somewhat, so if you could plant it up against a fence in a strip and put another shorter fence (1 1/2 ft. or so) in front of it to hold it up would be best. Or maybe use stakes spaced apart with string going around the patch may work too. You'll figure it out once you plant it, but do plant some.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I also planted catnip and cucumbers in the same plot and you could hear the bees working from mourning to dark.:thumbsup: Jack
I have some pickling cucumber seed here that I'm planning to plant this Spring, along with the borage seed and anise hyssop. (I like to can sweet pickles). I grew borage years ago, and they grow very quickly. Interestingly, the borage young leaves are tender and succulent and taste pretty much like cucumbers. In summer, it's very refreshing to float borage tips of baby leaves and blossoms in iced water with a slice of lemon. :D

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I planted some last year for the first time in a plot of about 6x40. Most of the plants came up-barely cover the seeds if at all. It seemed like it had to be in bloom for a couple of weeks for the blooms to really produce nectar. Bees were all over it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I was reading in my American Honey Plants book that the Borage honey is very dark and does not sell readily. If its for the bees and not the super then who cares! I am growing Anise Hyssop this year... for the bees. I need late blooming flowers to help with the late summer dearth in this area. I will be interested to see how this turns out.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I sell honey at the farmers market,and have never had trouble selling dark honey. Last year was a little strange, i had customers who wanted gallons of dark honey only?:scratch: I had dark and light honey and i was sold out by Nov., this year i'm planting Borge, catnip and Buckweat.:thumbsup: Jack

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
The American Honey Plants book seems to contradict the majority of other sources about the color and quality of borage honey. Some say it is a very light colored, almost white honey, and others say it is dark amber. But the taste is said to be one of the best. If you google borage honey, there are lots of places selling it and the pictures show it to be about average amber in color.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I just planted a little 3' x 3' bed of borage seeds. Also planting anise hyssop, calendula, morning glory (the native solitary bees love that), and tall old fashioned white nicotiana.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I had several plants in my yard, its also called comfrey, the bees loved it. I chopped up 4 plants and made 100 starts. I planted them in my field a week ago, they are already standing up and sending out new shoots. I have 4 more big bushes in the yard, but i'll let them be, at this rate in 3 to 5 years, I can cover a whole acre. I also read it was very good honey.and light colored:D

·
Registered
760 Posts
Comfrey and Borage are TWO completely different plants

please check your info before miss leading people !!!!

thanks

also if you have comfrey in your yard - ........... have fun !!!!!!!

also Borage had BLUE star shaped flowers and Comfrey has Purple bell shape flowers ??? how can you get the two mixed up???........

also borage is spread by seeds not roots !!!!!

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
I planted borage seed a week ago and it is just coming up, can't wait till it blooms, the honey bees and bumble bees love it. The deer and rabbits don't bother it either, which is a rare thing around me.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
You'll really enjoy watching the bees work this stuff. The flowers must be loaded with nectar all day long.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I'm not a plant expert but all over the internet it calls borage ,comfrey .
At paghat.com its states, tuberos comfrey is a large leaf Borage.

Looking at the Pictures of Both, I have Comfrey, rows and rows of bell shaped flowers. The Bees love it. They do fall over with the heavy rain.

I'll have to order a big package of star shaped flower Borage:D

·
Registered
760 Posts
i understand it sad what the internet as done for our knowldge

i get "swarm calls" that are swearn is as honeybees only to be hornets

but borage is Borago officinalis

and comfrey is Symphytum asperum Lepechin

sorry but ive studied plants and animals for over 20 years --

but now we have them seperated and we can move on

also on your side the bees love comfrey also - seems bumble bees get them first ?? have you noticed that bumble bees perfer purple and dark blue flowers ????

anyhow - didnt mean to start a debate but just wanted to make the notes right
take care

·
Registered
817 Posts
Yup, bumbles are up early, but if there not in the flower a honey bee is. I just ordered a bunch of yellow trumpet vines seeds to plant for the bees.

That is probably the wrong name for it , but oh well. I'm sure some place on the internet it calls trumpet vines, borage also.:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts