Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight was the last straw. I need boots. Was doing it in sneakers and dress socks since I was at work today. Should have known better. We were moving hives to my new yard across town. We loaded up 4 hives in the truck and one of them we could not get blocked up enough and they oozed out a bit fell in the grass and up my ankle. Got stung 2x in the right ankle 1x in the left. Did I learn noooooo. We got to the drop off site and put the boxes on the pallets we had placed earlier and some must have fell in the 3 inch grass and got me 3 more times in the right ankle and 1 more in the left.

I sit her posting my sad story with ice bags on both ankles hoping they don't swell up to bad and turn black and blue.

So I will be buying some boots to wear now.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I have wore sneakers from day one and i have never been stung in the ankles! I have always wondered about it...I own a set of ankle straps so maybe i might use them next time! Ouchy, i bet them ankles are on fire!!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Sorry to hear about your ankles man.

I have a full beesuit with elastic bands at the ankles and wrists.

I wear just a cheap pair of mud boots from Walmart for $15.00 and they work great.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I use insulated boots intended for walking in snow. The beesuit pulls up tight and mildly crushes the insulation a bit.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I tuck my pant legs into my socks(white cotton). I forget to do so, from time to time and one will crawl up my overalls and I get stung on the thigh. I have not got stung on the bum yet, but they have gotten pretty high!!

RKR

·
Registered
17 Posts
No Socks! I have africanized bees and they worry at every little loose thread. I even get stung on my fingers through gloves. Looking forward to re-queening.

DKBee

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Steel toed work boots. Had a hard time finding a pair of Ladies work boots. Marks Workwear house has a decent selection, with a really good money back guarantee if they do not fit proper. All I can say is wow. My feet feel great after a full day + in an bee yard. And they do not get hot like in rubber boots. Happy feet = happy wife at the end of a hard day ... lol

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
I normally where tenies , but when moving bees at night boots are a must have item.
At night you get a lot of bees on the ground.

·
Registered
703 Posts
papa needs a new pair of shoes (as I roll the dice) and thats not to far from the truth in beekeeping since it is like rolling dice lol.

I like to have two pairs of boots. The main shoes being the steel toe and plate cat work boots, they seem to last the longest for me. and a pair of steel toe and plate rubber boots to wear on the wet days, that'll save a lot of wear on your good work boots. I can say how many times those cats have save my feet from getting a nail in my foot.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts