Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got 2 splits, each of which received frames with queen cells for their queen source. I'd seen virgins in there after the cells opened, but have been waiting for them to mate and start laying.

Today, after about 2 weeeks I found that BOTH hives had calmer bees (finally) making me think they were queenright, but still gobs of drones. Turns out that neither had a queen that I could spot (still bad at this); one had lots of fresh eggs, and the other none.

I will wait a few more days for eggs in the eggless one, hoping the change in demeanor means I missed spotting the queen.

Questions: How consistently do hives with new queens kick out their drones? Does it mean anything if they don't?

Will a mated queen who's not yet laid eggs be able to calm a hive in a way that a virgin could not?

I've learned a ton on these boards in the past 4 weeks since discovering y'all. Many thanks for all your input.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
"Questions: How consistently do hives with new queens kick out their drones? Does it mean anything if they don't?"

They don't usually kick the drones out this time of year, as they want and need therm. In the fall they do, so if you have a hive that doesn't kick them out, chances are you have a virgin in that hive, or no queen at all.

"Will a mated queen who's not yet laid eggs be able to calm a hive in a way that a virgin could not?"

Yes, it just takes some queens longer to start laying than others, have to be patient.

"I've learned a ton on these boards in the past 4 weeks since discovering y'all. Many thanks for all your input."

Your welcome, but this is why were here. LOL

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
>Questions: How consistently do hives with new queens kick out their drones? Does it mean anything if they don't?

In the fall I've seen some queenless hives keep more drones, but then the ferals keep some all winter. This time of year they will not kick them out at all. No it doesn't mean anything.

>Will a mated queen who's not yet laid eggs be able to calm a hive in a way that a virgin could not?

Good question. I think yes. But it's the QMP that is calming the mostly. Although open brood do give off some pheromones and those probably play a part too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts