Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could someone recommend some reading materail on bees, last year was my first year and I spend at least 1-2 hrs daily searching the net for reading materail, articles, sites, and other bee-keepers web pages, I have really gained a lot of knowledge so far. Last knight I went to Barnes /Nobel to look for '' The Hive and The Honey Bee" but was informed that there was like 7-8 reprints ranging from $80.00-30.00. Any book/reading recommendations would be appreciated.

Two,of my favorite sites are: George Imirie's Pink Pages and

WV Beekeeper- Cass Cohenour

Thank You
John Chuey

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Mark Twain once said, "The person who can read and chooses not to, is no better off than the person who can't read at all."

There's lots of good stuff out there, but any retail, mall-type store is sorely lacking in any beekeeping stuff.

For free, my favorite text comes as a download from Penn State:

http://pubs.cas.psu.edu/FreePubs/pdfs/agrs93.pdf

I also like Diane Sammataro's "Beekeeper's Handbook," a great second-year book and there are some used books for less money

http://www.amazon.com/Beekeepers-Ha...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263919156&sr=8-1

And I hope you're subscribing to both the Amercian Beekeeping Journal and Bee Culture.

Remember, the average beekeeper only reads one book a year--that's why they're average.

Grant
Jackson, MO

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Not to be smart, but this site is a great place to sit, read and learn...and go back and visit often to learn some more. It's a great reference point!

·
Registered
386 Posts
I would like to say welcome to another local joining the site. Were you at Sunday's meeting I know George S. brought your name up at least. I would like to say that this site is one of the best sources of up to date information I have found. Although I have a truck load of books also and most are good info to. PM me if you have any other questions. There is also another member of our club on here to. Welcome aboard! By the way watch out for Cass Cohenour! He has done some things people are not real happy about. Check out the consumer report forum on this site and do a search.

·
Banned
840 Posts
"At The Hive Entrance" by H Storch

very good book that provides practical information regardless of what type of hive you use.

Big Bear

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
:shhhh: shhhh don't tell him that!

I picked up a 1905 copy of ABC of Bee Culture for $6.00 a few years ago. :)

It was in great condition...
Wow, that was a steal. I have my greatgrandfather's 1908 edition in fair condition and was told it was worth $20.00. I'd never sell it of course.

How to Do It by Richard Taylor is great.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I got several tapes from my county AG agent free. Made copies of them as it wasn't ilegal then I got every thing Dr. Deplane showed on the Farm chanel.Your county agent might not have anything but it would be cheaper if he does.You paid for it with tax dollars Also check on local meetings

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
"A Year in the Life of an Apiary" CD and manual, Dr. Keith Delplane . Available through the University of Gerogia.

8 1/2 hr. beekeeping series done for PBS. Easy to watch, easy to learn, I think the best start up learning package available.

·
Registered
5,770 Posts
http://bees.library.cornell.edu/b/bees/index.html

from here you can read old bee magazines, real old. also there is a way to get to many books that they have put on line, I found them once but can't seem to find them now.

if you click on browse on the left side of the screen, then pick a letter it gives you the titles and authors

1 - 12 of 12 Posts