Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
701 - 712 of 712 Posts

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
Yes Glenn,
I've the same or similar problems here, lack of motivation and failing eyesight. I just can't seem to see eggs and can't find the queens anymore. So like you, I seldom get into them other than check the top super. But it's still good therapy for me to have a few hives so I keep them going.

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #702 · (Edited)
Russ
My bearding does not match yours yet but I do have slatted racks which I believe helps some. Lots of extra empty space with the supers I just added also.

and

As you can see, I treat my wife much better then I treat my bees. I had a yard full of clover that the bees were working and I chopped it down so that our house could look as good as the joneses. I have a big yard and it was hard to do but I manned up. As you can see, my bee yard is not so big but it still has weeds.
Cheers
gww
Ps As always my pictures are bad and I don't really show they pretty nice balls of bees hanging under the landing board. I pretty much never do a very good job showing what I am trying to take a picture of.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
I do have slatted racks which I believe helps some.
GWW:

Good update, and how I identify with the struggle to keep the yard presentable when there is clover in bloom.

I also run slatted racks on my 8-frame Langs and I am always impressed by how many bees will hang-out in the vestibule below the rack and the entrance. While anecdotal, I think there is something to them.

Still no swarms in your neighborhood?

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #704 ·
Russ
I have seen no sigh of swarming or even interest in my traps that might fool me.
Cheers
gww

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #705 ·
I guess I got jealous of ar1 and so pulled a frame of honey like he just did. I was too lazy to get into more hives but was curious of the surplus that the hives might have. I of course just looked at one and am guessing more on the rest. I have not extracted yet.

The other motivating factor to pull the honey was the person who bought my brother in laws house in indiana, when we moved back to Mo at retirement, now come out a couple of times a year and his wife kept saying how she liked comb honey. He is also a guitar player and maybe why it was on my mind when in pandemic mode.

Needless to say, the comb I pulled was not good new comb but just old capped honey comb, maybe even from last year. However, it did not look too dirty and I am hoping it still taste fine. I don't think it has ever had brood raised in it.

The other interesting thing was that both supers above the brood nest were full and heavy and the second one down was being capped and the honey did not seem runny. I almost took an outside frame cause it was a little cleaner looking but since not but about 30 percent capped, decided on the older frame from the top box. I guess the whole point that makes it interesting is that maybe I did not put enough drawn comb on it. I don't know how to read this as the second is not completely capped but both weigh as much as they can. I still have clover in my yard and it is a little cooler and it just rained and the bees might make more or might hit the derth that eventually comes just right. I will probably not do anything but am interested in thoughts on whether that might be right or wrong.

Cheers
gww

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
I will probably not do anything but am interested in thoughts on whether that might be right or wrong.
As Walt Wright would say, "super optimistically". That said, with the arrival of SHB one has to be mindful of adding too much room.

Good report- I hope the gift of comb honey will bring back good memories for your friend.

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #707 ·
Russ
Good report- I hope the gift of comb honey will bring back good memories for your friend.
She said it did while invoking her father numerous times. 😊
You gave a nice report on your thread also.
Thanks
gww

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #708 ·
Pulled four supers but one had five frames of mostly brood. I can't remember for sure which hive it came from but believe it was from the split that made the queen. It has a surprisingly good looking brood pattern.

One of the hives still had crappy brood but an amazing amount of bees but no excess stores. So at this time of year and the fact it is still the three box brood set up with no supers, I should have listened to ray. Too lazy though.

My set up for extracting.

Still getting amazing use out of my home made extractor which amazes me.

I do realize that my pictures still are bad.

If I did not take the queen with the brood, I have five hives. I got about 7+ gal and got around two from dead outs in spring and so made about the same as last year even with fewer bees and no swarms and so will have to see in spring where I set. The 10 gal I have been getting is close to holding even in bad cases and I will put the supers and box of brood back on the hives very soon. The brood was not covered well with bees but is in my green house type building and may survive the hiatus from the mother hive cause I was to busy/lazy to put them back immediately.

Got my extracting stuff out under roof of my pole barn due to a sprinkle of rain and it may have the bees at each others throat's when I put the stuff back on the hives. Guess I will light my smoker and keep my fingers crossed.

The bees are hitting my peaches pretty hard.
Cheers
gww

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Still getting amazing use out of my home made extractor...
Nice report, GWW. Your extractor looks like a good piece of workmanship. When you have time, I'd be interested to see what the inside of the set-up looks like.

Have a great day-

Russ

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #710 ·
Russ
A stand to keep the shaft centered and above the honey.

And believe it or not, an old back massager that I am sure I salvaged for the pullies but then removed most of the wood dowels and squared a few of them and cut up for this.

Set it all in the can and can do 4 medium frames at a time. Sewing machine motor goes as fast or slow as I want. I did not blow out one frame of foundationless comb. I did use some rubber bands. The comb is pretty tough as it ages.
Cheers
gww

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Quite ingenious, GWW. I'm sensing between this and your previous sawmill posts that you've got some real skills at figuring out how to make do with what you have.

Thank you for the reply, and have a great weekend.

Russ

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #712 ·
Russ
I am pretty sure the back massager was gathered for the sawmill project but it came in handy later. Kind of a little stroke of luck there. You know the old saying, I would rather be lucky then good.
Cheers
gww

701 - 712 of 712 Posts