Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a hive blow over in early December. I salvaged what bees and frames I could and put it back together. I didn't have much hope for the bees because and the hive because they blew over on on a cold, wet December day and were laying in ice/slush.

To my suprise when I was able to open the hive this weekend I found about the equivalent of a 3lb package still alive. There honey stores are gone and no brood and/or pollen. I didn't do a detailed search for the queen, but I'm about 90% sure the hive is queenless.

If I put in some surplus frames of honey from other hives and feed this hive aggressively to keep it alive is it worth my time if it is queenless. How would you save this colony? I have 4 other hives in good health that I can borrow from etc...

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
If you are truely convinced the hive is queenless I'd combine. If you're not watch them until you are convinced either way. At that point either combine or let them try to make it on their own. I would not mess with stealing from other hives though. The stress and potential weakening would put the other hives at risk also which would compound your problems.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I agree with D Coates that you shouldn't mess with stealing from other hives because that just puts those at risk also. For the same reason I don't think combining at this time of year is an option -- the other colonies will be in clusters and combining colonies could just break up the cluster and ruin another colony. I'd be tempted to feed them to see what happens; there may still be a queen in there. I'd be interested in hearing the end of the story later, what you did and whether the colony made it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts