Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was replacing the jars of sugar water in my hives and I blew with my mouth on them to clear the holder.

These were from the swarm I just caught. Seems blowing on them was a big mistake. I was surprised with the reaction. It seriously upset them and they went after me. They chased me about 10 feet from the hive.

My other two hives are very calm and never react that way. Why did my breath upset them?

·
Registered
378 Posts
your breath was hot, think about what you ate or drank .bees hate alcohol, caffein, onion ,banana. probably an odor they sense as attack. could be your breath mixed with feromone they smelled...on a lighter side. maybe those bee's were trying to tell u something.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I just cut the comb and mounted it in frames a couple days ago so they may be agitated. Might be caffeine.

·
Registered
11,888 Posts
Me, i'll blow on bees if trying to move them along so I can get a better look at some brood. Works fine when the bees are calm.

But if they are feeling aggro then maybe not a good plan, especially if you are not wearing a veil :oops:.

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
Like old timer said. If they are on the prod their is nothing worse you can do. But I often blow on a frame to move a clump I suspect of having a queen under it or brood I want to look at.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Blowing on them usually upsets them. I think they perceive your breath as that of a predator.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Like old timer said. If they are on the prod their is nothing worse you can do. But I often blow on a frame to move a clump I suspect of having a queen under it or brood I want to look at.
Same. But blowing often riles them up so if I am taking a very close look at a frame covered in bees I hold my breath.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have one colony that seems to hate human breath much more than the others, but they're also the shortest tempered ones. In a good mood I can get away with gentle breaths. With them, I try to just puff air with my mouth like bellows without using my lungs. Sounds ridiculous but seems a bit less irritating to them.
Those bees taught me never to go in without my veil. Luckily, they only went for my chin and ears. Good thing I don't breathe out my eyes.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have heard that bees attack carbon dioxide. It makes sense. If you want to sting a bear, aim for the CO2 concentrations. In my own experience, blowing on bees upsets them. I guess what I’m saying is that your story is exactly what I would expect.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I will often blow a light stream of air to get the bees to move on the comb so I can see the cells underneath. I can't recall that ever upsetting them, but they are usually nurse bees, not foragers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I notice the foragers act different that nurse bees. If they are new from a swarm it probably has a fair number of foragers in the mix who are not quite settled in yet so maybe a little more defensive. I blow on nurse bees to get them to move, but have not tried it on a new hive from a swarm.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts