Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in Montgomery AL today and saw numerous pear, plum, and peach trees in full bloom. This is about 2 weeks earlier than normal for the area and suggests North Alabama and southern Tennessee will be at a similar stage in about 10 days.

Get ready, the spring buildup has begun!

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I saw pear trees in full bloom in Birmingham today. This is very early for the area. We usually have pear bloom about the 20th of February.

·
Super Moderator
10,454 Posts
i saw a few red maple blooms up here on the ridge today, on the trees that are getting a lot of sun. the plums are not quite there yet.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Something is blooming just north of the state line in Tennessee. Bees are flying right past my own feeder and coming back with their baskets full.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is a pear tree in the fence row beside my house that is now about 1/4 of the way to full bloom. There are plenty of open blooms which my bees are actively foraging for pollen. They are also foraging on maple and American willow as shown by the color and texture of the pollen in a hive I went through today.

This is moving much faster than anticipated. I expect Tennessee to report pear in full bloom within a few days.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Red Maple, alders, elms are blooming here. Wild pear about 1/3 bloom open on trees I've seen. Crab apples showing leaves and Bradford pears have flower buds starting to open. Yesterday the bees were foraging like crazy bringing in greenish brown, brown, light yellow, and cream colored pollen. I had to open the entrances up to about 2" to cut down on the traffic jams at the entrances.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Henbit, wild radish, dandelion, Red Bud, Red Maple, Pear. All have been blooming for a couple weeks or more in South Alabama.

EDIT: Actually the Red Bud and the Pear have just started blooming last week.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have these pointy, glassy things hanging from all my fruit trees. We are about as far from spring as we are from having a functional executive branch. Yet, hope springs eternal...the day will come.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Red maple is pretty much in full swing now here near pigeon forge tennesee. Henbit and deadnettle starting to really come on too. Bradford pear trees and plums are still a few weeks away. I inspected some of my hives on that day last week that it was 70 degrees and most had about 2 to 3 frames of brood mostly eggs and larvae with a little bit of capped brood idk if that good or bad for this time of year but seemed like they looked good. Now if we can just get some days it's not pouring rain or winds blowing 40mph+ so they can take full advantage of these maples.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I saw pear trees in full bloom in Florence AL yesterday. My bees are foraging very heavily for pollen today. I counted 20 pollen loaded bees landing in front of a strong colony in 5 seconds. A strong colony can easily bring in a pound a day in these conditions.

·
Super Moderator
10,454 Posts
the plum trees in my yard up here on the ridgetop have their first handful of blooms open today. the pear trees aren't too far behind.

in the valley i saw the first bradford pear in bloom yesterday.

lots of pollen coming into 20 out of 21 remaining hives. i suspect the one not bringing in pollen is queenless.

·
Registered
192 Posts
This is a great thread, as it allows us northern folks (Michigan) to watch the progress of spring as it moves our way. Thank you and keep up the entries.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Nothing visible blooming in Dallas, Texas yet but bees have been bringing in pollen on every opportunity to fly. I have seen training flights twice in last month. We are very close to pear bloom but not yet. I will post once I see a pear bloom.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Bees have been very busy here bringing in loads of pollen. Maples blooming, elms, plum. Peach and pear are close behind. Around 5 inches of rain today and much cooler so things will slow down for a few days as more rain is expected. Very wet here this winter so maybe this will mean many blooms to come. We had lots of rain last year in Feb and had one of the best honey crops in years. So hoping this wet weather will bring out a lot of clover.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yep, nice to see spring coming, us northern Ohio folks just have to wait another 6 to 8 weeks or so that’s all. If I didn’t hate the heat, bugs and snakes I would probably move back down south. The 4 years in North Carolina while in the Marines almost hooked me!

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Peach trees in my yard have about 25% blooms opened. Apple will bloom in a couple of weeks.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts