Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen and heard that some people cut blanks to use to make a 10 frame deep into a 5 frame NUC then can expand it by removing the blanks. So I was thinking of doing the same on a few of my boxes.

So questions are. How critical is it to take up all the space so they cant climb around the blocking shims. How do you make them. I was thinking just ply cut to shape. Could use 2x also? Does it work or should I just continue with the 5 frame Nucs that I already have.

Just wondering from anyone that does it.

·
Registered
760 Posts
what ive done on some --- before i assemble the deep box - is find center on the front and back sides - then cut a dado - the same depth of the rabbit - a little deeper is ok - then once both are cut assemble

then measure from dado depth on each side and cut a piece of ply to fit in side - make about 1/8 shorter though to allow for expantion

hope this helps

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have done the same to make a double NUC. I was thinking of just for one box and cutting it down so they focus on the center frames and then removing them as they grow.

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
They do make a plastic divider that is about 1/8 inch thick for this purpose. You can have two 5 frame nucs in a 10 frame box.

The dividers are just a few bucks. I bought 60 or 70 off JohnK and Sheri a while back, and I think Sheri still had more to sell then. You could see if she still has any.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts