Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a graphic artist design a .pdf honey label for me, using the 3 x 1.75 medium oval format that virtually all bee suppliers provide. Would like to print my own using a laser printer, but can't find that size in blank sheets anywhere. Do y'all know of any? (I may need to have artist resize) (I only keep 3 to 5 hives, and don't sell the honey, so don't need a large number)

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
I had a graphic artist design a .pdf honey label for me, using the 3 x 1.75 medium oval format that virtually all bee suppliers provide. Would like to print my own using a laser printer, but can't find that size in blank sheets anywhere. Do y'all know of any? (I may need to have artist resize) (I only keep 3 to 5 hives, and don't sell the honey, so don't need a large number)
A roll of 100 will last you quite a while. They don't spoil.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
True. I should have explained.

Having someone print you a roll of labels the size you mentioned would cost you pennies per label and they would last a long time. If someone uses 40 labels a year, it might be less costly to have a print shop produce your labels for you. Or Office Max. Or whatever office supply store you have nearby.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have no problem with a roll of a couple hundred, but where to find someone to print at that size of label? Bee companies, like Betterbee, only provide illustrated lables which you can customize, e.i, add some text with your name, etc.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I was sort of in the same boat. Designed the label myself. I bought sheets like that from onlinelabels.com. Custom printed labels didn't get cheap until about the 250 mark, and they weren't cheap, they were still ~30-40c each. I got 1000 labels, 100 sheets w/10 per sheet from onlinelabels for $22 including shipping. Even with the toner cost it won't be anywhere near ~40c each, but I had to take my label and make it fit the sheet and such...so I'm trading my time for $$ (isn't that how it always works?). Worth it for this for me...depends on how much time you want in front of a screen of course.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
I have no problem with a roll of a couple hundred, but where to find someone to print at that size of label? Bee companies, like Betterbee, only provide illustrated lables which you can customize, e.i, add some text with your name, etc.
Find a local print shop or an Office Max type of store.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
wallroad..... Have you considered buying your labels from Betterbee. 100 labels 3 X 1.75 cost $ 8.95 To print what you want on those 100 labels cost $7.50. Total price for 100 labels $16.45. I'm not sure you can save very much if you buy blanks and print for that price. Absolutely top quality labels. I have been using them for years.

cchoganjr

·
Registered
913 Posts
I don't think they'll do full custom labels though will they? Only print your text on labels they already have like the pine trees or the skep or the daisies...the OP has his own custom label he wants printed, the whole thing.

A local print shop would do it for you, but probably pricey as well compared to doing it yourself if you can and have the printer.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
whataya want for nothing? If you want something nice you are going to have to pay for it. of course you should be able to find the least expensivce source, but you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Well it's not nothing...blank labels and toner still cost $$. But I know, it's all about skill set and resources. I don't have a wood shop, so I buy all my woodenware, but I'm a computer geek with a color laser so I print my own labels....

·
Registered
913 Posts
Good question...have to think about that...yet another business venture :p

·
Registered
829 Posts
Well it's not nothing...blank labels and toner still cost $$. But I know, it's all about skill set and resources. I don't have a wood shop, so I buy all my woodenware, but I'm a computer geek with a color laser so I print my own labels....
lib- Do you use a label software program to create those labels? If so, what is it (if you don't mind sharing)? Thx. -js

·
Registered
913 Posts
I don't. I use photoshop elements, the only-slightly-watered-down version of photoshop that's way cheaper than the full version.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Labels are nice to have on jars given away as gifts. I gave away 60 jars of honey which came from bees that were in the roof of my Church. I labeled those jars to remind people where it came from, to make it more special. I got the labels made at The UPS Store.

·
Registered
7,053 Posts
If you don't sale your honey. Why buy lables?
I got a $600 cutout job this year from my honey jar labels, sold a a local produce market.

·
Beesource.com Sponsor
106 Posts
Just a quick note on the Betterbee labels. These labels are all professionally printed. The part that is customizable (to a point) is the lettering.

The artwork for the labels is professionally done. The setup for the printing presses is expensive. To run off 200 of a custom label would be cost prohibitive with the technology available to us today. The printing plates are several hundred dollars each to prepare. If you want a line of labels (ie, bears, small and large ovals, cut comb, rectangles), the setup fees can run into the thousands.

With some of the digital presses that are coming out, perhaps that will all change, but so far it has not. Like Cleo Hogan said, I think the quality versus price comparison of these labels is great. You can get a line of label to give your products a similar look, have them preprinted so you don't have to handwrite or stamp each label, and you pay very little per label.

Prior to coming to Betterbee, I sold under the DBA Pot of Gold Honey, used the gold skep label with gold and black local honey labels, and received many compliments on my presentation from customers. When I first started with bees, I remember buying labels and glue and a handstamp. I would have to handstamp, then glue on labels. It was a lot of work. The labels were nothing special either, but what was available. This sounds kind of like walking to school in 10 feet of snow uphill both ways, but I like the value/price comparison for the labels we have available today.

Chris Cripps
Betterbee
Greenwich, NY
800-632-3379 ext 8001
[email protected]

1 - 20 of 28 Posts