Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, this is my 2nd attempt a bees. I picked up 2 nucs a little over 2 weeks ago and installed them in the hives on my farm. I have been feeding them sugar water, and thought all was well. I inspected the hives about 4 days after I installed them, there were eggs and things looked good. I also installed beetle traps at this time.

I checked again on Friday, and things had changed drastically. One hive had about 6-8 supercedure cells (which I cut out), and were pretty aggressive when I opened the hive. There was no capped brood and I didn't see any eggs but there was some larva. My first thought was they were queenless. However, what appeared to be a young queen was located when I called a beekeeper friend to come take a look. She was marked for easy identification, with instructions to re-inspect on Monday for eggs. The 2nd hive looked good, with eggs some capped brood, and lots of new built comb. I did cut 2 supercedure cells out of the 2nd hive as well.

Our weather this spring has been miserable. This past week alone we averaged nearly 1.25" of rain a day and temps in the low 60's. I have 4 swarm traps set around my farm, but have only seen scouts at 1 of the traps but then nothing caught so far. I figured the lousy weather was to blame for the hives trying to make queens and possibly swarm. Besides cutting out the cells, what else can I do to keep them from swarming now?

·
Registered
648 Posts
I wouldn't be so quick to cut out cells. They are telling you something is wrong and they are trying to fix it. No honey this year anyway, so I'd let them decide what to do.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Are you sure they were superseed cells and not swarm cells? How much empty space is there in the boxes, I am wondering if they are feeling squished and want to swarm.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, they were supersedure cells. My friend (who has ~200 hives), came and looked at the hive and he cut out more. He marked the queen a few days prior, and there has been no eggs laid since. So, the queen was terminated Monday May 13. He brought a swarm from one of his hives to combine with what was left with my hive, so far so good.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Yes, they were supersedure cells. My friend (who has ~200 hives), came and looked at the hive and he cut out more.
6-8 supersedure cells:scratch: Have they filled out the other five frames? Why are you guys cutting the cells and then adding a swarm to the box of what was left? Where did the others go?
If I were your friend, we would have tripled your hive count:D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A few cells on one frame, a couple more on another frame, so on and so forth. There appeared to be the same amount of bees in the hive when we combined them as there were when I installed the nuc in the hive. No, they did not fill out the other 5 frames in the hive, and they had been there for a bit. We combined with newspaper between and it should be gone by tomorrow. I'll open the hive tomorrow and check for brood.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts