Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, this is my 2nd attempt a bees. I picked up 2 nucs a little over 2 weeks ago and installed them in the hives on my farm. I have been feeding them sugar water, and thought all was well. I inspected the hives about 4 days after I installed them, there were eggs and things looked good. I also installed beetle traps at this time.

I checked again on Friday, and things had changed drastically. One hive had about 6-8 supercedure cells (which I cut out), and were pretty aggressive when I opened the hive. There was no capped brood and I didn't see any eggs but there was some larva. My first thought was they were queenless. However, what appeared to be a young queen was located when I called a beekeeper friend to come take a look. She was marked for easy identification, with instructions to re-inspect on Monday for eggs. The 2nd hive looked good, with eggs some capped brood, and lots of new built comb. I did cut 2 supercedure cells out of the 2nd hive as well.

Our weather this spring has been miserable. This past week alone we averaged nearly 1.25" of rain a day and temps in the low 60's. I have 4 swarm traps set around my farm, but have only seen scouts at 1 of the traps but then nothing caught so far. I figured the lousy weather was to blame for the hives trying to make queens and possibly swarm. Besides cutting out the cells, what else can I do to keep them from swarming now?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, they were supersedure cells. My friend (who has ~200 hives), came and looked at the hive and he cut out more. He marked the queen a few days prior, and there has been no eggs laid since. So, the queen was terminated Monday May 13. He brought a swarm from one of his hives to combine with what was left with my hive, so far so good.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Yes, they were supersedure cells. My friend (who has ~200 hives), came and looked at the hive and he cut out more.
6-8 supersedure cells:scratch: Have they filled out the other five frames? Why are you guys cutting the cells and then adding a swarm to the box of what was left? Where did the others go?
If I were your friend, we would have tripled your hive count:D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A few cells on one frame, a couple more on another frame, so on and so forth. There appeared to be the same amount of bees in the hive when we combined them as there were when I installed the nuc in the hive. No, they did not fill out the other 5 frames in the hive, and they had been there for a bit. We combined with newspaper between and it should be gone by tomorrow. I'll open the hive tomorrow and check for brood.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.