Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing a hive inspection, I see black splotches among the yellow pollen. A senior beek with me says's he's never seen it before.

Googling suggests black pollen is poppy pollen - Makes sense as there are poppies in the area.

It still looks pretty strange.... before I close the book on this, is there anything else I should be checking for before ruling out disease?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
It still looks pretty strange.... before I close the book on this, is there anything else I should be checking for before ruling out disease?
Keep an eye on those bees. Watch some of those standing around the entrance. Check for other bees coming up to them and then running into the dark of the hive. Check the hive for a strange smell. Look for pipes, little peices of folded paper and foil on the bottom of the hive. During inspection. Once bees start processing down the poppy pollen they get hooked very easily.:no:

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
It's probably poppy pollen like you said, but I have seen coal dust collected. But there probably isn't any coal around where your bees are, is there?

I wouldn't be too concerned about disease. Unless you see something in the brood that makes you suspicous.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Keep an eye on those bees. Watch some of those standing around the entrance. Check for other bees coming up to them and then running into the dark of the hive. Check the hive for a strange smell. Look for pipes, little peices of folded paper and foil on the bottom of the hive. During inspection. Once bees start processing down the poppy pollen they get hooked very easily.:no:
I just hope they're not Tali-bees.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I never realized how many colors of pollen there are! I’ve see ours coming in with your standard yellow and orange, but there have been some that are so bright they nearly fluoresce (like day-glow orange). There has been grey (lots of grey) and a few coming in with black.

In the next couple days I’ll try to get a picture of some of them coming in with the grey pollen and post them…

1 - 9 of 9 Posts