Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to everyone from Captgreg i have a question to ask, has anyone ever had there bees build a quarter inch off the black plastic frame they started on top at the wood frame and continued to bottom and never touched the black?

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Yes! Why, I don't know, but I didn't like it so made them start over. This foundation had wax added so don't think that was why. Maybe not enough? J

·
Registered
14 Posts
wash the frame in hot water to remove mould release possiblly ,and rub liberal amount of wax all over the frame and they take it up in 3 days.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Another trick you might try is to cut off the "burr comb" that they built, melt it together with some additional bees wax, use a 3-4" wide mini paint roller, and coat the plastic foundation with liquid bees wax. Keep it as light a coat of wax as possible. Often the bees will draw comb immediately, if they need it.

Steve

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another trick you might try is to cut off the "burr comb" that they built, melt it together with some additional bees wax, use a 3-4" wide mini paint roller, and coat the plastic foundation with liquid bees wax. Keep it as light a coat of wax as possible. Often the bees will draw comb immediately, if they need it.

Steve
Thanks all I’m sticking with melting my wax and making sheets of wax for my frames they build 3 times faster on a natural foundation.

·
Premium Member
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Thanks all I’m sticking with melting my wax and making sheets of wax for my frames they build 3 times faster on a natural foundation.
Then what was the point of your question?

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Then what was the point of your question?
I think he was curious as to whether anyone else had experienced that kind of reluctant behaviour.

Earlier this season I bought two sheets of plastic foundation for an experiment and had the devil's own job getting the bees to draw it out. It was only by removing all the other combs so as to give them no other choice that they finally 'played ball'. Seems they really do NOT like plastic if there's 'the real thing' around. Won't be buying any more.
LJ

·
Premium Member
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Sorry to be snarky. The first post sounded like a genuine question and seeking advice. Heck, that exact thing has happened to me too on the yellowish rite cell. The second post just sounded dismissive of the advice offered, hence my question. Didn't mean to ruffle feathers.
BTW, I am going foundationless this coming year as the bees did not do that hot of a job on the wax foundation either. I was experimenting with all three kinds of frames at once. The wax from several sheets got "reallocated" by the bees. But some of the hives did make a bunch of nice foundationless frame comb that are attached at the bottom.

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
Drawing plastic frames irregardless of color works best if they are given to the bees by the box with a single drawn bait comb to get the bees working in the box. I do get an unacceptable portion of bald sides of plastic frames. My best results were from shaving plastic frames with a table saw so that 11 would fit in a ten frame box. The bees seemed to do a better job that way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts