Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Black mold problems

1866 Views 3 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  Sundance
Black Mold Problem

My hives are in south Texas and with recent rains the black mold has returned on the landing boards and outsides of my hives.

In the past I have used a concentration of 2 ½ cups bleach, 3/4 cup Jomax to 3 1/3 quarts of water. After several hours, I rinse the surfaces with a 3 parts water to 1 part Bleach solution and wait a couple more hours before rinsing them with plain water. If the weather is warm and dry enough to dry the cleaned hive boxes and landing boards, I give them a couple coats of paint.

The mold problem causes a lot of work and I am not really sure if I am killing all of it since the problem seems to return when the weather turns wet.

I have read that glossy latex paint is less likely to encourage mold. I have been told that KILZ does not stop mold. My questions are:

Is there a mold resistant treatment for hives? Is there an easier way to clean, prepare and retune the hive boxes and landing boards to service in the bee yard?
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
I had some success with retarding black mold in a house by spraying with a product called Sol-u-Mel....maybe if you mix the following: tea tree oil, water & baby shampoo. Or maybe put a couple of drops of tea tree oil in the can of paint, stir it up well, and repaint the hives.
:) Hope that helps!

· Premium Member
6,212 Posts
I agree with the full sun. And air movement.

Thymol is an excellent mold killer. I am not sure
how you apply it to your situation. I still use
food grade mineral oil and thymol in problem
hives. Paint on a FGMO and Thymol mix?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.