Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.beesource.com/point-of-view/walt-wright/do-you-get-black-locust-in-the-supers/

Just read this as I was looking for more info on the black locust and what factors account for its nectar production or lack thereof.

Our locust are in full bloom and the bees are ignoring it entirely. Fluffy white blossom totally ignored.

I have colonies of all ages and development levels within easy flight of the trees so I have to assume that if it were producing nectar some of the bees would be visiting it, "storage lull" or otherwise.

How are the rest of you doing with the locust? BTW I'm not saying Walt is a "crackpot", I've even been known to checkerboard.

:popcorn:

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Check back at different times of the day, may plants will present nectar and different times of the day. I have noticed Catalpa trees will have heavier activity in the afternoon. Other plants like zucchini present nectar in the early morning and cucumbers form noon to late afternoon the bees will soon figure this out and switch forage areas

We also have abundant black locust and the supers start filling up fast with a very light amber honey, a favorite of many of my regular customers .

1 - 3 of 3 Posts