Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for areas with higher population of Black Locust/ Linden Tree in Ohio?

Thank you very much, George.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Yes, this year is going to be a slim year for black locust bloom in Cinci. I see a few trees around here and there in Cincinnati in full bloom, yet along the highways where you usually see loads of them during the season, the locusts look pretty sparsely foliated and are almost completely lacking in blossoms.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Everything is a bit late this year, my grapes are just starting to bloom and are usually nearly done by now.

Black Locust will drop the last of the blossoms here this week, typically it blooms at the beginning of May.

First swarms last week, usually they show up the last week in April, sometimes mid April.

It may show up later than normal, but it's always possible they won't bloom much.

Linden (basswood) here is variable -- will bloom this next week, I think, but some years the trees are filled with bees and some years nothing visits them, including fireflies which also like the nectar. Highly variable as a nectar source here. Might be different in Cinci.

Peter

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, this year is going to be a slim year for black locust bloom in Cinci. I see a few trees around here and there in Cincinnati in full bloom, yet along the highways where you usually see loads of them during the season, the locusts look pretty sparsely foliated and are almost completely lacking in blossoms.
It seems there are different varieties of locust trees and some might bloom earlier than others, around UC there are some locust trees which bloomed pretty good this year. My guess is those are not black locust cause bees don't seems to care about it I've seen more bees on yellowwood trees than locust trees before this cold weather.
Black locust foliage will develop after is done blooming.
This year I like to try some migratory beekeeping in order to provide my bees with more honey flow.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I have noticed the same in our region. We live in a valley in SW VA. Normally you can't miss the black locust blooms. This year I have not seen one bloom. Trees have leafed out very well, and appear to be very healthy.

Last year we had a strong black locust flow. But not this year.

Shane

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have noticed the same in our region. We live in a valley in SW VA. Normally you can't miss the black locust blooms. This year I have not seen one bloom. Trees have leafed out very well, and appear to be very healthy.

Last year we had a strong black locust flow. But not this year.

Shane
I'll take a closer look, these year might be a delay due to cold winter.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I'll take a closer look, these year might be a delay due to cold winter.
That would be interesting to know,

Our late winter was very cold. However, we have not had our typical late freeze/frost that would harm the blooms. Hopefully, they are just late. Other blooms seem to be about on thime.

Shane

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That would be interesting to know,

Our late winter was very cold. However, we have not had our typical late freeze/frost that would harm the blooms. Hopefully, they are just late. Other blooms seem to be about on thime.

Shane
Same around here, look up growing degree days is a relationship between local average cumulative temperature and plant development.
I'm going to make first honey extraction over the weekend or on Monday and I like to find other place with a major honey flow such as Black Locust maybe somewhere up north and later on another place for Linden/Basswood trees.

·
Registered
693 Posts
In north central NJ we have a very heavy population of black locust but no blooms yet; I just checked with binoculars and they seem to be leafing. Usually by this time the streets are white with fallen blooms but none this year.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In north central NJ we have a very heavy population of black locust but no blooms yet; I just checked with binoculars and they seem to be leafing. Usually by this time the streets are white with fallen blooms but none this year.
not sure what is going on this year, went to a place north west from cincinnati to look at black locust, found the same thing a couple of trees blooming but just a few blooms
other variates of locust tree are almost done in cincinnati area.
wonder if this year black locust doesn't bloom at all

·
Registered
513 Posts
I think all the black locust are the same variety. I don't think it's valued enough as a shade tree here in the US for nurseries to create cultivars. I haven't heard of any, anyway. I suspect those few trees in full bloom around UC (I've seen some too) are in sheltered areas and weren't hit as hard by the winter. That's my guess. I saw a couple of locusts today blooming along the edge of an untended woods, in the distance. But none along the highway yet. The two younger trees behind my house have not shown any sign of blooming so far.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm by no means an expert and haven't been keeping record of the blooming periods. However, traditionally here our black locust blooms the first week of May, IIRC (going on long ago memory of my grandfather saying the crabs start shedding out when the locust bloom). I don't know how accurate it is, but it looks like the locust here started blooming about 4-5 days ago. I don't know how that translates to bloom times the farther north you go.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've seen a few of the smaller trees bloom the last couple of days but none of the old large ones. Hope they do, but you have to go a little farther north for basswood. Not sure how far north maybe an ohio beek from a little farther north could jump in here and help out.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Nothing happening here. Several early blooming trees crapped out this Spring. I'm afraid the same is true for Locust.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nothing happening here. Several early blooming trees crapped out this Spring. I'm afraid the same is true for Locust.
Start to think that black locust bloom is really delayed this spring, I think I just spotted some that just bloom in the same area where others are almost done blooming. The main difference is that the ones that are blooming now don't seem to have any leafs on them only flowers....

·
Registered
273 Posts
Nothing here in mid Iowa yet either. My colonies got hit hard this winter, I have been feeding my remaining colonies to build them up, and they are getting pretty strong now. I am planning to pull the syrup off, and put supers on when the locust and basswood bloom, get a little honey, then split them right after. I hope we get a flow. My pie cherries hardly bloomed at all this year, not going to get a crop (Very unhappy, pie loving husband.) We will see.

JC

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm on the westside. It just started this weekend. I was worried it was over already but today I went out and ck'd 3 different places and it's the same at each place. I was in Vevay, IN yesterday and they haven't started yet either.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts