Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several years ago I planted a few Black Locus tree.....they are 20'+ tall now. I have never had any of them bloom like I've seen in pictures....why? I live in SC KS.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Several years ago I planted a few Black Locus tree.....they are 20'+ tall now. I have never had any of them bloom like I've seen in pictures....why? I live in SC KS.
It’ll happen, Tim. They’re still gathering strength. Congratulations on your foresighted planting. It’ll help for decades to come.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Well that gives me second thought about planting some next year. All the literature I had read said they tend to bloom at an early age. Hmmmm

·
Registered
339 Posts
They should have bloomed around 4 years in. Mine had bloomed by age 4, but last year they did not bloom and this year it looks like a repeat.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Well that gives me second thought about planting some next year. All the literature I had read said they tend to bloom at an early age. Hmmmm
Plant them this year! If you can get the seed, you can potentially add to the diversity of some unmowed 'wastelands' along highways, creeks, etc. Black locust is not native to Kansas, but is present in all 48 contiguous states, so you'd need to consider whether or not introducing it around your apiary site would be ecologically deleterious. Once it's established, it will seed around, and thus would be difficult to eradicate from an untended space...

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another quick question while we're on the subject, WHEN do they bloom? Do they bloom before, during or after they leaf out? ...and does trimming / pruning affect the blooming of these trees? I trimmed them up as they grew, so I could mow around them easier to control the root sprouts.

Thank you for your replies.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
In Wisconsin, typically a couple weeks after fruit trees, but before the Sweet Clovers. Fills an empty hole. They where an important bloom in the 60's, but not so productive as of late.

Crazy Roland

·
Registered
2020 6 hives
239 Posts
Here in mid-Missouri I live near I 70 about 70 miles from St Louis the Black Locust bloomed on 5/10/20. To put it in sequence, the Black Cherry bloom just prior to the Locust on 5/6/20. They also have a white bloom. Both of these trees bloomed pretty heavily this year.

Black Locust does sucker very heavily and defends itself with great thorns so beware of them.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Another quick question while we're on the subject, WHEN do they bloom? Do they bloom before, during or after they leaf out? ...and does trimming / pruning affect the blooming of these trees? I trimmed them up as they grew, so I could mow around them easier to control the root sprouts.

Thank you for your replies.
Since I started writing down bloom dates 5 years ago, I've seen black locust start to flower anywhere from 6-15 May. The blooms usually last a couple weeks. I'm in east-central Missouri--probably about 50-75 miles north of your latitude, so there's a chance your bloom time will be a bit ahead of mine.

I did add a bloom time section to my little website this year using all the dates I've been keeping, which I plan to adjust and update each year as much as I can. Black locust is included on this if you're interested: https://www.mitecalculator.com/honey-bee-food-sources

1 - 12 of 12 Posts