Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took a little honey off one of my hives last weekend that is as near black as honey can get. Excellent taste with a touch of berry.
When held to the light it's a dark chocolate brown but in regular light appears black.

Any ideas what plants produce black honey?

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
I can't tell you what it came from. But I was extracting some buckwheat honey, and there were several cells that were filled with honey that I can only compare to black strap molasses. and I don't have a clue why.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There seems to be a difference in opinion on which berry it tastes like. It's been called grape, blackberry, lemon, and one of my granddaughters said cinnamon.

I've never put up buckwheat honey. My son in law has. He says it's a different color and certainly a different taste.

I believe if I set a jar of used motor oil beside it you couldent tell the difference unless the oil was lighter in color.

Most dark honeys are strong in taste. This is very mild and smooth. I'm stumped!

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Honeydew/forest honey from aphids can be quite dark and have more of a "fruity" taste. Buckwheat definitely has a molasses smell and flavour. It's really popular here.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Honeydew is the best guess so far I reckon. There is a lot of oak timber in the area.
However this was put up in about a three week window and then it just stopped. I would have thought honeydew could be gathered all summer but I don't know.

I've eat what I thought was honeydew in the past but it might not have been. It wasn't anything like this. I suspect there can be a lot of difference in honeydew honeys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts