Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was planning to make a large off season purchase of some equipment on the current blackfriday/cyber monday deals. I was wondering if anyone follows prices closer than I? I am asking because I placed a large order in March of this year and it appears like the equipment I bought in march has already gone up in price 10%, so the "sale" price basically brings it back to a price earlier this year.

So questions, what is the typical year to year price increase? I was expecting a typical 3-4%. I realize wood prices have certainly gone up so I don't know if that plays into it. Also, does anyone know if the prices come back down after "black Friday" or is this the best time to buy?

Just for reference I am looking for about 10- deeps, 10 mediums, 100 deep frames, 100 medium frames and some smaller items. We have been at it a few years but are looking to expand a bit.

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,259 Posts
I too noticed that this year's Black Friday prices at Mann-Lake are what last year's regular prices were for the deep and medium frames in cases of 100. Did not look at the hive bodies but would guess the same holds true. Still, would not expect to see a lower price in the future.

·
Registered
14 Posts
unless you can move up to pallet price or truck load price ,very hard to do any better in store prices are little better but then you have to be there .
used are way cheaper but then you could get something (disease) you cant get rid of .
making your own your your back to lumber prices unless you buy by the truck load it wont be cheaper not counting labor
not answering your question but inflation is not going to stop for a while .
I always say I'm investing in fire wood .

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Last630.9
Prior Settlement617.1
52 Week High830.9
52 Week Low259.8
This is a chart for Lumber Futures. As you can see it has had it's ups and downs. There was a speculative bubble in late August early September that burst causing the prices to come down a bit, but still on an upward trend.
When the pandemic ends and housing starts return to normal along with satisfying the pent up demand, I expect lumber prices to go up from it's current level.
These prices are per 1000 board feet of dimensional lumber. Prices for wider pieces are even higher. Of course the Pandemic could change everything again, but one thing is certain, the prices will be whatever the market will bear.
I don't know how lumber is acquired by the large Bee Supply Companies, but I suspect they buy directly from the mills.
I would expect the prices of all wooden ware to rise with hive bodies out pacing the smaller items.

Alex

·
Registered
561 Posts
I see no real deals this Black Friday, it is the first year in several that I bought nothing.

I know nothing about the lumber market, just that I am currently unwilling to buy at these prices. I am waiting for March madness, maybe it will be better then.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for your thoughts and run down. I think I will still purchase an order, but be a little more conservative than previous orders.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts