Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbor planted 130 acres of black eyes, Are they a good bee plant? Would the honey be good?

·
Registered
970 Posts
A beekeeping friend said his bee made a very dark honey in Arkansas about like Molasses. And made a fair amount. Don't thin it would bee real good for overwintering them on if your in a real cold climate The hone is good but a more pronounced flavor its not bitter or bad tasting.

I also know after the pea's set on I have seen Honey bees,yellow jackets and wasp workin on the part of the pea where it comes out of the stem

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
"Why would anyone plant a 130 acres of black eyed susan,s. Am I missing something?"

I was wondering myself. Seeds?? They like flowers? It would make a pretty impressive field of "black eyes".

There are a lot of questions that could be asked here, using vague words or regional terminology that might be misunderstood. "Black eyes" as peas might be more familiar in the south, but not so much from California to most people.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Why would anyone plant a 130 acres of black eyed susan,s. Am I missing something?
It would not be unreasonable to plant entire fields of one variety of wildflower for the cut flower industry.

I'm from Maryland, originally, and the Black Eyed Susan is our state flower. Every year, at the Preakness Stakes (part of the Triple Crown of horse-racing) there's a story in the news about how tradition requires that the floral wreath draped around the winning hore's neck is made of Black Eyed Susans -- except that these flowers aren't in bloom at that time of year, so the race organizers have to fake something up. Usually it is reported that they use yellow flowers, and hand-dye the centers (or eyes).

I'm not sure what these flowers are, but they aren't your standard Black Eyed Susans.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Some years they will work them here in oklahoma the honey here is dark yellow looks kinda greenish in a dark brood comb. Not bad tasting kinda strong, I like it. NOW i'am talking black eyed Susans.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts