Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I purchased two deeps from a guy in OKC who said he was going to mediums because of his age and his back.

I've found two frames with significant wax moth damage and have trashed the combs. I have been reading "The Backyard Beekeeper" by Kim Flottum and he stated and printed pictures that showed a cross section of a cell in the comb. After so many bees hatch out of the comb and the bees reseal the cell with wax and propolis, the comb turns black. He recommended getting rid of the black comb and replacing it with new foundation for the bees to draw out.

He stated if you couldn't see sunlight through the comb, it's time to get rid of it. I did the sunlight test in full sun and the combs were sure enough, black, black, black.

I have cut out and trashed it. Ironically enough, as I cut the comb away from the frame, I found a large dead larva approximately an inch long. I presume this is a wax moth larva based upont the wax moth damage in the other frames.

I paid $30.00 for the deep hives bodies along with the frame of drawn comb and empty frames. The guy I bought the hive bodies from said he lost half of his hives last year due to freezing weather.

Now, I'm beginning to seriously think it was just too much pesticide buildup in the comb that had to be years and years old.

I would hate to lose my nucs, etc. because I couldn't bring myself to trash this old, black comb.

I'm cutting it all out and starting new with fresh foundation.

What does everyone else think?

How black does the comb get in one year, two years and then three years?

Please chime in.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Most everything I've read says every five yrs the comb should be rotated out. Sounds like you should strip out the combs and start over eh?

·
Registered
76 Posts
A good schedule that I am starting with is rotate out all of the foundation every 5 years (about when it turns nasty black). If you mark your frames with year dates or queen color dots as you change them out, you know how old that comb is. I will be removing 1-2 frames of foundation per box per year. This will keep old comb and new comb in rotation.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts