Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We found some black bottomed bees, getting kicked out of our hive yesterday?
I have not found any pictures of this type of bee, in my search.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have these too! I was told they are wild bees moving into my hives. Some hives have just a few and some have alot. I can tell they are more aggresive but the hives that have alot do well with honey storage so they must be good workers. I'm new at this so I'm curious what others have to say.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It seems like they "wild bees" were rejected by my hive. They were kicking them out of the hive, and stinging them to death.

Interested also to see what happens.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Could they be russian hybrids? There are more and more beekeepers with these bees. I also have them. They are a bit smaller than Italians and they are darker on the end of their abdomen without the pronounced banding.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I just picked up a swarm that look like this. Orange & black banding on 2/3 of the abdomen, but their little butts are solid black as are their heads & thorax. Also many are smaller than my packaged Italians.

Just settled them into a hive this morning, so no chance to gauge temperment yet. That's a job for this afternoon hopefully.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Isn't there a bee disease where a symptom is the abdomen being a reddish/chestnut brown and the end 1/3 of the abdomen is solid black? Or is my memory not working right?

·
Registered
290 Posts
These little bees look pretty healthy to me. Have the usual Italian stripes except for the bottom third of the abdomen. Haven't looked for the queen yet, but all the workers look like this. Very, very different from my blonde Cordies.

·
Registered
290 Posts
the ones I caught aren't as solid black as she is. More like the one worker immediately above her & to the left. first 2/3 of the abdomen is tiger striped, the bottom third pitch black.

But she is a pretty thing, isn't she?

Looking as a website about the European Dark Bee. Looks the most like what I have.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I put the new girls on drawn deeps, so once they get settled in, time to throw on the honey supers! Would be nice to get some this year, even if it's just a taste.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Very nice picture. Some of the larger bees look like this, but the little black butts are still different. Look at the orange & black striped bee in the center of the photo. Now imagine her with a black head & thorax, and the last three stripes down to her tail are solid black.

I gotta get a picture up....

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I have bees just like that. They are feral bees in a bee tree about 100 yards back in the woods. Theya re doing great, so I am leaving them alone, hoping for a swarm. Hoping for their genetics too!

·
Registered
290 Posts
FatBeeMan was in the chatroom last night & said his ferals have the black butts, too.

Yesterday while doing some observation, I saw a very large black bee flying around while the new girls were doing orientation flights. Now I'm wondering if that was the queen. I had put a brood frame in with them before I even brought them home and the deep is bursting with bees. I know I lost some, but this swarm had to be 6+ pounds.

I'm hoping to get some good genetics out of this bunch, too. Will probably wait until Wed/Thurs to see if the queen's actually there. The rest of the deep is drawn comb, so if there's activity in any of the other frames, she's definitely there.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
yes he does.....and they are black black..LOL

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I have some black bees they are my favorite. I have split one hive three times this year so far and two of the hives have already made a surplus. I have let the black bees make three queens so far and they all have turned out black bees also. Even though they are open mated and I also have the regular colored bees in the other hives. I can really tell a difference in the attitude of the black bees, they work hard and are very gentle. The bees are also smaller than my other bees. I just gave a queeless nuc a frame of eggs from my black bees and hopefully they will raise a queen also.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts