Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experience with black bees? These girls are totally black. I've seen the pics on Bush Farms And they have some banding. As far as I can tell these do not. image.jpg

·
Registered
509 Posts
They appear to look like German Blacks or similar breed. German Blacks were the very first bees brought to America on the Mayflower.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Not German Blacks just mutts. I used to have Blacks a few years ago just a trace in some of my stock. German Blacks are black with very thin brown bands no other coloration.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Not German Blacks . I used to keep Blacks a few years still have some of their genetics in my stock. German Blacks are black with thin brown bands. What you are seeing are either a Russian x Carniolan or a Caucasian x Carniolan. Sorry for the stutter.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have a black hive. Started out Italian/ carnolian mix...guess the carnolian is coming out more this year. 2 nd year hive

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
The bees in the waterer are "Italians". The black bees are a color phase caused by mixed breeding. Black bees in Italian colonies can also be caused by an infection of Chronic Bee Parlaysis Virus, which in one form causes the bees to lose their hair, making them appear shiny black or greasy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts