Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cant fugure this out. The entire center circular area on all my combs are empty where brood would normally be. On the edges of the comb there is normal worker and drone and the normal honey and pollen. But the entire centers like 4" in diameter all empty all combs. No supercedure cells or swarm cells anyhwhere.

I do not see any eggs but I do see bees faceing in to may empty cells in the center like their feeding Larvae. No aggressive behavior, Totally peacfull hive sounds very mellow and quiet...I did not see the Queen this time.

Should I Re-Queen.----------. Its a new Queen this year a new Package new Hive. Its an active hive foraging going on.
My guess is the Queen is bad or the babies all became adults (but all at once?) (all empty centers?) Or.. this is normal for this Colony.

I have a Top Bar Hive, maybe I should just let it Ride and let the Bees figure it out.......Any advice is appreciated. BTB

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
The brood along the edges, is it capped or not? It is possible that the centers you are seeing are where capped brood emerged. Brood that was completely surrounded by honey and pollen. After some of those honey and pollen cells were emptied feeding the developing brood in the center, the queen laid eggs in them. Thus the center would emerge first and is now being prepped for new eggs.

That at is one scenario. If they are not building any queen cells I would not be worried just yet. Just keep an eye on them.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Same as the other suggested, but also it's the time of the year in which most queens start brooding down for a time. As long as you still see 2-4 combs with some eggs and young brood then it seems to be normal activity.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts