Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi its 1st of july I have extracted 4 capped frames from my hive today and they taste sweet but a little on the bitter side and looks quite dark brown like golden in color we just had the sumac bloom end here and these frames were filled after the 1st of june my question is can anyone recognize what flower source is that honey from. What you guys say about sourwood i think i tasted sourwood once and its not bitter/sour at all. And what can i do in a situation like this do people really like this kind of honey or should i mix it with my next harvest and sell it to make the taste blend. Thanks

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
First off I think blending this honey may be something worth a look.
Secondly check out what people say about Basswood honey. I haven't heard it described as bitter but folks have different tastes. Some people consider the bite that bBasswood has to be very desirable in which case keeping it as extracted may work best.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Do you have any Tree of Heaven in your area? They produce a honey that initially smells and tastes bad, but after a few months it is really nice. U4tw78HkzhzqQqWGr4o4fRUY.jpeg

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes f650cs that looks like the tree i have on my backyard, these are the flowers that were blooming when they filled these frames within 10 day. But isnt this sumac.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
f650cs;1444634*but after a few months it is really nice.[ATTACH=CONFIG said:
26223[/ATTACH]
So, after you put it in the jar, the taste changes?

·
Registered
323 Posts
What type of sumac y'all have in Georgia?
The botany resources I've seen say "smooth" but there are a couple of other varieties mentioned as well ("Shining" "Winged"). I think "smooth" is most common.

It has seed clusters like staghorn, and the seeds are edible and somewhat peppery. Bees seem to love it (I have several wild native ones in my yard, and it is covered up in late summer... hasn't bloomed yet this year). I don't know what the honey tastes like... this is my first year with hives.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts