Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Obviously I am new at Bee Keeping and wonder if there are any types of birds that give bees a hard time?? Would appreciate any feedback from those who are familiar with this issue if it is one. Thanks.

·
Registered
706 Posts
nope birds will eat some of your bees just darwin at work don't worry to much.

·
Registered
254 Posts
True: birds will eat bees, especially "divers" like martins, mockingbirds, etc. But they aren't likely to do enough damage to matter (cf. honeydream's "...just darwin at work"). I worried a lot about this issue last year when I saw martins swooping the hives in the evenings, but at the end of the season, there were plenty of bees to overwinter successfully.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Around here king birds, flycatchers, and swallows all pick off a few bees, but it doesn't appear to be a problem.

In most of the rest of the world (not North America), there are bee eaters that can do some harm. One bee eater can catch several hundred bees a day when they have little ones in the nest.

·
Registered
11 Posts
AmericasBeekeeper:I wish we could find or train Small Hive Beetle eating birds.
My chickens and I heard from someone else, say their Guineas. My chickens, a heritage breed called a "Buckeye," hunt and stalk mice much like a cat as well, a well known trait of the breed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts