Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have too many birds flying in to my large window.
Any suggestions beyond the $25 decals or the good looking X of masking tape?

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
cut out an owl silohette or two from cardboard or paper and tape them up. or build a scarecrow of hambone with a tripod ar-15 right outside your window and see what happens.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Tom, what kind of birds are they?

Does anyone use those owls or hawks? Do those really work? I see them in people's garden, but never really asked or looked up reviews.

I got a dollar to a doughnut that Dragonfly knows all about this stuff Tom. She's a bird geek.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Tom, what kind of birds are they?

Does anyone use those owls or hawks? Do those really work?

we used one in are freestall barn scars the birds for about two weeks then they start pooping on it to see if its real.if you move it around every few days helps

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I don't see where shooting the window out is the right solution. I am suprised you did not recommend smearing the window with bacon grease, the obvious solution. Stops the birds and gives you something to lick at the same time. Your slipping up Hambone.

cheers

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Right now I have at least one real hawk working my back yard.

It's something about the clean window with glass on the other side of the house, like they see through it and think it's open. I know you can put tape on to help.
I'm going to try the bacon grease first though.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
The hawk may be what is causing them to hit the window in panic. Do you have screens or blinds that you can draw. I get bird strikes occasionally on a few of my windows. But these are usually after they have helped themselves to the slightly narcotic "beauty berries" (Callicarpa americana) in my yard.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
12 ga #8 works fine for me. When they start coming in on all 4's use 000 bk. Hawks will fall for those also.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
I think part of the problem is the birds are seeing the reflection of whatever is in your yard; trees, shrubs,.the sky?...etc. rather than trying to fly into your house. Yup,.scared by a hawk swooping at them will cause them to hit a window. They have those black silouettes of a flying hawks. You could draw and cut one out from black paper for fifty cents and tape to window. Shiny reflective party ribbons hanging in front of window?

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
There are also film images that aren't stickers, they just adhere and can easily be moved. The ones I have are nearly invisible but are highly visible in a part of, I believe, the UV spectrum just beyond our sight range that birds can see. The ones I have are a couple butterflies. They really don't bug us much and the bird impacts have really decreased. Something like this.

Birds will splat windows for a few reasons; the ones where they really peg into it are usually because they don't see it. They'll also try to fight off what they feel is an interloper into their territory (their reflection).

Also not having housplants right inside the window (I know, where else would you put them) can also help, or partially closing blinds.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts