Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've captured a lot of swarms but this is the first one in the rain and it was big and unappreciative.
https://picasaweb.google.com/MichaelJShantz/BeeHive4302010#5985874171491871170
My ventilated suit worked fine but they found my ankle, now I have a fat ankle.
I got it yesterday, left it in the box overnight, waited for a lull in the rain today, duct taped my ankles (duh), and hived them.
Talk about ungrateful. They attacked vigorously and followed me when I walked away.
Hopefully they will be friendlier when the weather clears.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The link should work, it always did before, it's set to public.
I don't think Africanized, they didn't attack en mass. Just rainy cold weather I think.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Michael,

Very much enjoyed looking thru your pictures. The swarm is massive, from your hives? You can design and fabricate just about anything and it all looks darn good. Really impressed with your craftsmanship.

Would you recommend the chainsaw mill?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The swarm was not from my hives. I'm on the swarm capture call list of our local bee guild and I got a call. The homeowner took the photo.

Thanks for the kind comment. I really like the Granberg chainsaw mill. It has its pros and cons. Pros: You don't have to move the log! You can make lumber where the tree falls. It's cheap. With enough power you can slice very large diameter logs. Cons: It's pretty slow. That 70cc Husqvarna 372xp is about as small a saw as you want to use. Many lesser saws can't take continuous full throttle. The saw needs a good chain oiler set to the max. Auxilliary oiler would be good.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
I am sure you don't mind the angle. I got 3 on my right hand with close proximity. After 3 days everything is back
to normal again. Put neosporin to stop the pains and itchiness. How come you don't use a bee vac on such a big
hive? And you tube vids said that a swarm will not sting. What a lie!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've used the bee vac only if needed to get the bees out of tough spots. This swarm seemed so easy, in 10 seconds I had them in the box using the bee brush. But then they were quite upset. Maybe I should reconsider when to use the bee vac. My experience is that the bee vac annoys them more than an easy shake or sweep, plus it takes a lot longer. Hmmm. So far I attribute their bad mood to the rainy weather.

Then I had trouble taping the box shut because the cardboard got wet in the light rain. I had to use a lot of duct tape so they wouldn't be able to help me drive on the way home.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
If I am in your position on a swarm call list I would make some temporary screw hives on light
boards. It is only 5 boards with a fold able screen cover on top. No need to use duct tapes.
They should last a life time for this purpose. Can you imagine this temp. hive box?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds like a good idea. Might be hard to make it light weight. Or somebody mentioned a more waterproof cardboard box. We usually don't get much rain during "swarm season" so I never had this problem before.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
I am thinking a screw in box that you can break it down to put in your car trunk when not in use. This way you are ready when
on the road at anytime. Lighter boards you have to find them and dry them out before sealing them with waterproof sealant or
oil. A piece of well seasoned 2x4x8 is less than 2 pounds. I am sure you can find some well seasoned woods to make your box.
If you have bee wax you can deep fry your cardboard boxes. I have not done a big box before so you have to use your imagination here.
The standard boxes from the moving company will do when you put a bee wax coats on. I have very often turn a piece of regular cardboard from the shipping/moving box into a landing board for my bees. Long lasting, durable and waterproof too.
Ohh, the brown round circle is also made of cardboard that is coated with bee wax.
A piece of regular cardboard box deep fried onto bee wax:

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts