Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bee-Swarm_5.jpg Hope these are not yours; Florida to Maine rig. Est. 20M bees heading to blueberries. Delaware interstate 95 ramp they did not make it before flipping.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Apparently around 6pm last night, reports states they used water to disperse them and most were lost. Locals in the area that had traps set up may be surprised this morning. They did find 3 local beekeepers in the area to offer advice and any help. About 60 miles north of me.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Was this in a Newspaper article? I don't recognize the equipment. It almost looks like a tarp and not a net. I enlarged the photo as much as I could but couldn't tell.

It would take more than water to deal w/ all of those bees. Cutting the straps and handling each and every box and pallet by hand is what it would take. A crew of at least 6 well suited beekeepers.

·
Registered
489 Posts
This is so sad to see and not the first time I have herd of semi's carrrying bees being involved in an accident.

Just a shame for the loss of all those bees.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
What a huge loss for the hive owner and a shame for the bees, not to mention the driver and passengers who were badly stung. I wonder if the owner is a member here?

It looks like alot of the hives tipped over mostly intact. If the workers could have righted them, they would have been fine and could be saved. Such cool thinking and methodical work would be in short supply with 450 hives tipped over in a busy public location, though.

·
Registered
161 Posts
If it were cows or horses, everybody would care about the well-being of the animals, even if they were headed to slaughter. With bees on their way to do good things for the environment, nobody cares about the bees. Very sad to me.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
What a huge loss for the hive owner and a shame for the bees, not to mention the driver and passengers who were badly stung. I wonder if the owner is a member here?

It looks like alot of the hives tipped over mostly intact. If the workers could have righted them, they would have been fine and could be saved. Such cool thinking and methodical work would be in short supply with 450 hives tipped over in a busy public location, though.
I don't think we should assume that bees weren't saved. Even after what reporters reported. I have been to a roll over, once. We cut the straps and removed the net as much as possible and took hives and pallets apart and reassembled them as best we could so they could be reloaded once the truck was righted. It's a big job, but it's doable.

·
Super Moderator
11,151 Posts
I haven't seen a 'bee truck' rollover, but lots of other truck rollovers. Usually a second similar truck is brought in and the cargo is reloaded on the upright truck. If it is a box van type trailer, the cargo transfer needs to happen before the rolled trailer can be uprighted. Often this is a hand labor job, but sometimes laborers may restack product on pallets on the ground that are then forklifted into the upright trailer.

I don't see how it would be possible to load product back on the uprighted trailer. At the very least the DOT/troopers would insist on a very thorough mechanical inspection before that trailer could be used again. It could very well be impounded until liability issues are determined.

Even if the bees themselves are not salvageable, the hives themselves will have to be hauled away - you can't just leave the crap at the side of the road.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
The one pic I've seen shows the trailer rolled against a guardrail, and not completely over. Many hives tumbled but it looks like most are still stacked. The problem is a the number of POd bees on the loose. If the ones flying can be calmed down or disbursed, and the truck rolled upright so it is safe to work on, likely the remaining hives can be righted.

Our local bee club has a good swarm alert system, with about 40 participants. Response to swarms is usually under an hour. I think it should be possible to include "mass casualty" responses, but it would be a big help if an emergency response plan were in place, with a "Memorandum of Understanding" in place with the local emergency response officials. They need to know who to call, and know they can count on a response.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I don't think we should assume that bees weren't saved.
No assumption. The newspaper article stated:

"Beekeepers advised police not to attempt to round them up but to disperse them with water. Video of the scene shows firefighters spraying the wreck."

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Then they used more than just water. Because that won't kill bees. It might get them off of the road, but it takes more than that to kill them. Besides, why would you try to disperse bees that are in hives when you are going to have to man handle those hives anyway? I wish I had been there.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
I'm going to be guessing here but wouldn't the spraying water simply disperse the bees already flying and encourage those still in hives to remain there?

How on earth would the police "round up" flying bees anyway? With a big butterfly net?

Wayne

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
I don't recognize the equipment, colors, or netting myself. I do know that Harvey's Honey was on hand to help ferry away the equipment.

·
Registered
213 Posts
http://www.delawareonline.com/story...rrying-bees-overturns-on-95-on-ramp/9348173/# ........... It was pretty bad seeing all those bees in the air, and dripping off of the guard railing. most of the boxes were still together. We cut the straps and the wrecker slid the trailer and tractor forward and away. Harveys Honey brought a flatbed and fork lift and hand loaded. I told the firemen to spray the clusters on the guard rail, and mist the air, knocked alot to the ground. The hives were fully packed with bees, the guard rail shredded at least 75 hives. The bees were very agressive, cops were getting stung 400 feet away. I only had 1 extra veil with me. I was on the way to our bee meeting when I got the call from state police. I got there first, just WOW. I`m the short one in the video. Mark nailed it, that`s exactly how it went. DENRC wanted to spray them down with soapy water and kill what they could. I talked to SP, he called his supervisor , put a stop to that. I just got a phone call from one of the other keepers that came later. He said he over heard DENRC guy mention putting straw on the load and setting on fire, now this is a truck that is leaking fuel across the road and running into a creek through the woods. He told the guy from Harveys he only had 2 hours to load what he can, then they were gonna spray them with soap. Imagine that !,,,,,,,, Pete

·
Registered
520 Posts
Nice start to the report****SWARM ATTACK**** That's about as accurate as the 2 day forecast is on my local news station!!
I got to wondering last time this was a story in the news.....what do you think the cost is to insure that trailer of bees? juzzer

1 - 20 of 85 Posts