Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe I've fed infected honey to a healthy hive.
The very next day has dead bees and bees pulling live sick appearing bees out of the hive.
I feel a lot more than stupid.
Is there anything I can do/should do?

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
About the only thing you can do is put some 1/1 sugar syrup on em and hopefully it’ll help flush the toxins out of the less severely affected.
This is the poster child example of never feed honey back to a colony except if it came from it.
Sorry to be crass but back in the day when I did cutouts, if I couldn’t give it away for consumption I’d toss it. Wasn’t worth the risk, knowing what scavengers bees are sometimes.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was from my yard, my third hive. They couldn't requeen. There was one comb I just should have ditched. I put the frames from a top super of the third hive on my backporch and let the other two hives rob them out.

I put a political sign beneathe the super and today found there about 1/2 inch worth of dead bees after all the robbing. I'm sick over this.

Among the bees out front I found a near baby bee not yet completely formed pulled out.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I am suspecting that you fed the hive honey and caused robbing, which results in a lot of dead bees and I have seen brood stripped out of a hive during robbing. I wouldn't know if it's the robbers or house bees doing it. Feeding a hive, especially honey, while a weak flow is going on is a bad idea. How did you feed the hive?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts