Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cobblers pegs are considerd a nuisance weed here ( sticky seeds) and is native to Europe. We had a lot of rain during summer here and have an amazing crop of this weed. The Bees are bringing in ( so it seems to me) nectar and pollen and are working the plant most of the day. Has this plant escaped to other parst of the world? It is know for a lareg part of the coastal east coast of Australia.

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
ha! I thought this was a political joke about some of our politicians here in the states (Biden and Pelosi) :D

deknow

·
Registered
182 Posts
Max2 - yes, we have bidens pilosa right here in Madison County, Florida! It grows along the highways and, by the way, in my wildflower field and in my orchard! We call them hitchhikers or beggar weeds...they are also edible! Curse or blessing??? The bees love them, so that's good enough for me! :)

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I harvested over 130 kg of honey earlier this month and I reckon most came of it is from B .pilosa. Very nice honey too. The weed is known as cobblers pegs ( a reference to the old shoemaker) and Farmers Friends ( never let go) and has indeed many uses.
I have planted 1000's of trees which benefit bees over the years but always find it interesting how common and often cursed weeds make a valuable contribution to the honey flow.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I took a lot of this honey to market today and sold all of what I had with me. People are surprised that a plant most see as a weed can produce such good tasting honey. I called the honey " Pilosa Gold"!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts