Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
The only thing I buy anymore are frames and foundation.
In my opinion the best frames were Brushy Mountain, sadly out of business
and the best wax foundation was Walter Kelley, sadly bought out by Dadant.
According to employee of BM, they didn’t make their own frames, they resold someone else’s.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Do you know whose they were?
BM would not let you see into there wood working facility.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
While I have never had an issue with Betterbee, I just wanted to mention that Betterbee's woodenware supplier is Humble Abodes in Maine. They make the 7/8" boxes.

I am not sure Humble assembles, you would have to ask them if you need that. I think assembly is a Betterbee value-add. I prefer to assemble my own so it has never come up for me.

In any case, you can just give them a ring. They are a small outfit, but I find the fit and finish of their boxes better than Mann-Lake or Dadant.

Best,

Chuck
I believe Betterbee bought Humble a few years ago. The woodenware is outstanding. J

·
Registered
23 Posts
Try Blue Sky, in Ohio.
Blue Sky charges as much in shipping as the stuff your buying. 200 worth of bee box and 150 shipping ugh. They charge full freight on Fedex so, no ty.
I have never had a problem with Betterbee, online or in person. I went down there this summer and picked up frames and foundation and talked to Nick, the guy who was making the frames. NIcest ppl ever. I buy from BB and Perfect Bee and also my local shop. Perfect Bee shipping is really best cost, never had a problem with them.
Apimaye hives are awesome and free ship as noted earlier but too heavy for me.
In defence of BB, when I was there this summer, Nick told me they are moving into a bigger place down the road so part of your problem may have been with that and its still hard to get ppl to work there cuz the Mead Rd facility is in gods country AFAIC ;-).
Hope it goes better for you somewhere,
Zoo

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have ordered dozens and dozens of times with BetterBee and know them well...and have NEVER had a problem with customer service...there must be more to this story than what is being provided. BetterBee takes pride in its customer service and strives to be the best in the industry...which has clearly been my experience, and I have plenty of experience with Mann Lake, Dadant, Blue Sky, Kelley, and others...BetterBee is, by far, the most responsive and easy to deal with....

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hey Sean - I would love to try and earn your business. All of our wood is cypress wood and it's made out of 7/8-inch boards, so it's really great equipment. I've been selling equipment for years, but recently opened up a retail store in Birmingham, Alabama. We can ship supplies to you by UPS ground or by freight. If you are getting a lot, we would much rather ship it by freight to you.

Please take a look at our equipment, we would appreciate the chance to help you.

-Adam Hickman
www.foxhoundbeecompany.com

Creating this post partially because I am frustrated with Betterbee and want to see if anyone else has had this experience with them and also wanting some opinions on where to source some stuff.

I have spent quite a bit of money with Betterbee this year and I’ve had a couple of instances where they forgot to send something, sent the wrong thing, or just took forever to ship. A few weeks back I ordered a gabled roof and when it arrived it was destroyed due to haphazard packing. When I sent in pics, their customer service agent (not naming names) suggested that I should glue and nail the affected pieces and mend it myself. As soon as I saw that message I called and they offered to ship a replacement. To their credit, they did promptly ship a new one, to the wrong address. When I noticed it, I called them and they adjusted the delivery address the day before it was supposed to be delivered so it went from NY>CA>CO. Overall not super impressed with how all over the place they seem to be and lack of follow through.

I placed an order of $8500 for 25 additional hives on September 22nd. Got a call today asking for $500 more for freight. Not upset at the amount but why did it take so long to figure that out? Cancelled the order.

long story short, looking to get away from Betterbee. We really likedtheir 7/8” thick, 10 frame deep brood boxes though.Anyone have a recommendation for boxes that they like? We have bought from Mann Lake and not sure if we got a bad run but their boxes weren’t the greatest for tolerances.

Hive Mind, please give me your recommendations!

Thanks!

Sean

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have ordered dozens and dozens of times with BetterBee and know them well...and have NEVER had a problem with customer service...there must be more to this story than what is being provided. BetterBee takes pride in its customer service and strives to be the best in the industry...which has clearly been my experience, and I have plenty of experience with Mann Lake, Dadant, Blue Sky, Kelley, and others...BetterBee is, by far, the most responsive and easy to deal with....
I couldn’t agree more!
And I’m on the West Coast.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts