Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently use the full body suit and veil from Mann Lake when I work the bees in my yard but getting tired to have to putt all the gear on for quick checks. I purchased a new veil that I have been using with sweatshirt for quick checks and feeding but I would like to just get a jacket to go with the vail to work... I found this one online today so has anybody used before? http://www.betterbee.com/Products/Jackets/Better-Bee-Jacket

If not any recommendation for a good bee jacket without attached veil....

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've haven't had a problem with stings its a pretty tight knit material but its not overly thick which makes it nice for working on hot days. i have the better bee veil also and am happy with it. I would follow there recommendation and get a size larger than you'd normally get because they do run small.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
My jacket is a Betterbee one from last year. (It was the model with an attached veil.) My fabric is all-cotton, which I prefer for hot days. It is slightly thicker than the poly/cotton blend of my BB full suit. I have been stung through the poly/cotton suit (during a very aggressive manipulation situation, at dusk, just prior to the onset of a fierce thunderstorm - in other words under extreme provocation), but never through the all-cotton fabric of the jacket.

One thing I admire about the new design of the jacket is the stockinette cuffs. My jacket had unelastic elastic that died after the first days of use, so I have been rubber-banding the cuffs closed since then. As soon as I can get out to a JoAnns fabric store I will be trying to get replacement stockinette cuffs to retrofit to my jacket sleeves.

What I wouldn't like about the new jacket design when not combined with a matching veil is the risk that the the attached zipper half would snag things like my long hair (or even any non-integral veil) on the exposed teeth of the zipper. It is a large, bold, type of zipper and grabby. I think, though I don't know for certain that it is just stitched to the surface of the jacket and with careful snipping might be removable, eliminating this issue.

Enj.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys for the input.... I saw that it is meant to be used with their veils because of the zipper connection... I wanted to be able to use my own mann lake free standing veil and hat and just tuck in....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts